Seiko 6139 pusher and case tube problem

Hi,

I'm in the process of restoring a Seiko 6139-6012. Everything has gone well so far (this being my first chronograph) apart from this problem. One of the pushers was stuck in the case. After a couple of weeks of alternating soaking in WD40 and rust remover I went for the brute force approach, and the case tube (pendant tube?) came out with the pusher still stuck inside it. At this point I could see that the pusher itself was beyond saving due to the amount of corrosion, so the aim is to get the pusher out without damaging the case tube. I removed part of the pusher button (with a file) to allow better access to try and scrape away the rust between the pusher and the tube with a pin. But this is only going to get me so far, and I'm worried about damaging the tube.

I have searched for a replacement Seiko tube without success, and checked the generic pendant tubes at Cousins but none have the right dimensions.

Here's a photo of the pusher stuck in the tube (next to the other, healthy, pusher):

DSC_6571.jpg.d5d1a042de0b463738550ead2211b341.jpg

and from the service manual:

DSC_6572.jpg.b42c9230be7aa01a23f098c85fa18a3e.jpg

Any advice appreciated.

I find it interesting that the drawing doesn't show the C clip that secures the pusher in the tube. 

If you can drive the remains of the pusher out, you might be able to reuse the tube by driving it back into the case with a bit of Loctite or JB Weld.

As Rymoeller says you could probably push the old pusher out and reuse the tube. If that fails an old case could  help you out. Have some  badly polished ones that could be used as donor cases. 

And RyMoeller there is no C-clips  on the 6139 . The pushers are hold in by the  movement ring. 

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

And RyMoeller there is no C-clips  on the 6139 . The pushers are hold in by the  movement ring. 

Ah okay- I second look at the diagram shows the holding ring securing the pusher. :)

As you've probably guessed - I haven't fiddled with a 6139... yet.

Edited by RyMoeller
grammar
  • Like 1

How exactly do I push the pusher out? Bear in mind that I spent 2 weeks trying to get the pusher out by every non-destructive means possible until I decided to sacrifce the pusher by gripping it with a pair of pliers very hard and pulling with almost all my strength while the case was in a vice- and then the part which gave out was the case/tube interface not the tube/pusher interface.

What i meant was that to take the tube from a  polished case i have and put back in your case. If you have the sizes i can knock one out . 

Have you tried to heat it? And you need an anvil or something to put the tube in  to be able to knock the old pusher out. 

Sorry I didn't understand you the first time- yes that would be great! I do have the dimensions, I'll post them shortly.

I have tried heating it, freezing it, ultrasonicing it, bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, phosphoric acid, super glue, a massager (yes a massager)...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

New case tube installed, + replacement (Seiko) pusher. Movement holder finally arrived from Australia, watch finished and working perfectly (+ 1 spd on the wrist). Massive thank you to Roger for his help.

DSC_6614.thumb.jpg.80e8572de14529a5e933bb8e38ffc8a4.jpg

The photo is not very flattering- the hands look cleaner in normal light.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...