Tissot Seastar 2481

Hi Gents,

I have just bought a Tissot Seastar 1970 with a 2481 movement.

After opening the back, it seems it is in fairly good condition. No rust or dust.

It is ticking well and what I really like in this movement is that the date can be set by pushing in the crown. And this is where the problems start. After a couple of pushing, I could not be able to set it anymore.
I was going to take apart anyway to clean and lubricate it.

So, as soon as, I started dismantling the movement I saw that the problem caused by the return spring, not in place. I assembled it back again and the date moves smoothly, however, when I want to set up the time and pull the crown out the castle wheel does not reach the intermediate wheel even if the return bar and spring seem to be at their right place. The check spring is not bent. When the crown is pushed in, I can wind up the watch.

Maybe the return spring? I have no clue.
Have you got any idea how to solve this problem?

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. Hope it helps though.
Please detail your answers as I am just a beginner.

Any help is much appreciated.

Gabe

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-04 at 14.11.56.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-11 at 18.25.34.jpeg

Think this is a nice movement too, but on the other hand I say that about all of the mechanical ones.
These have that push change of date. When I look at your picture I miss the part changing date it's a small lever marked with a yellow ring if this is put back the wrong way it will cause some problems. 
I add some pictures of how the key less work should be reassembled.

IMG_20190315_171328.jpg

IMG_20190315_171915.jpg

IMG_20190315_172248.jpg

• Like 1

A pizza and five beers later it's time to reassemble the date part. Must say it's a hairy work if new to the trade.

I start with putting back the date lever spring. make sure you get the setting lever into position.

Next I put the date lever into place, make sure the little nob on the lever ends up in the little **BLEEP** in the spring.
Now I switch side..

IMG_20190315_180107.jpg

IMG_20190315_180237.jpg

IMG_20190315_180545.jpg

• Like 1

A tip is to insert the date jumper spring into the bridge fist, use a peg wood to push it in place.

Put the date lever into place and gently slide the bridge with the click spring into place.

Next I put the datering into place and check the date click end up in the grove.

IMG_20190315_181901.jpg

IMG_20190315_182832.jpg

IMG_20190315_183004.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you very much, guys.
I actually assembled it back together on Friday night. Now everything works like a dream.

Delgetti, you were right, the lever was upside down so it could not push the castle wheel all the way to the intermediate wheel. Soon I turned that, I could see that such a silly mistake I made and did not spot it for so long.

Special thanks for you HSL for the great pictures and explanation. You must have some serious skills if you got it working after five beers. :biggrin:  Sometimes I feel that my hands are not steady enough even without beer.

All your information will be even more useful when I strip the whole movement again for cleaning and lubricating soon.

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 at 13.19.07.jpeg

• Like 1