JW Benson "The Ludgate Watch"

I have a Benson Ludgate key set pocket watch, the silver case is hallmarked for London 1890, serial No. 70937.

I understand that Benson at the time had 3 main watches, The Field. The Ludgate, and The Bank.  Some say the Bank was the best, other say the Field, any ideas which was considered to be the top line?

About this time(1890) the Ludgate went keyless.

My watch has two known problems, the balance jewel is missing,( the bit that operates the "English lever" under the balance wheel) and the main spring winder is solid, not just fully wound with a little give, but rock solid!  The watch does not tick when shaken.

How do I remove this mechanism from the case?

There appears to be two releasing screws, but turning them has no effect.

If it's a simple job to remove the jewel from the cogs, and refit in the right place, I might have a go, other than that it will have to be looked at by a more knowledgable person than I.

Bod

Front bezel popped off, using a little pressure on the movement from the back.

Movement came out freely, all very clean, no dust or fluff. Could not see anything that looked wrong, the winding mechanism appears to be mainly between the main frame and dial.  Way beyond my skill set/pay scale!

Is this watch worth being set away?  Or is it only worth the scrap value of the silver case?

Bod

Checking sold prices on eBay any where between about £40 & £250 depending upon condition for one that actually ticks. Scrap silver is about 28p per gram for sterling. I guess it depends on how much you paid for it and what you want to do with it. 

In good condition and fully repaired and serviced you may be able to expect the higher end of the sold price range but with the potential cost of the work you may not make much profit.

The watch was found whilst clearing my late fathers house, I'd never seen it before, and have no idea how he got it, or when.  The 1890 date doesn't tie in with any family history, a mystery.

I have now had the works out of the case, absolutely clean inside, no dust or fluff, the winding mechanism appears to be between the dial and main frame, way beyond my skill at present.

Are there any good books for the repair of this type of watch?

Bod 

• 1 year later...

Well to resurrect an old topic, due to being unable to go out,  I've had another look at this watch, discovering a few things.

1. My eyesight is not up to working on anything smaller!

2. The seized winding mechanism, was a small piece of straw under the intermediate gear.  How it got there goodness knows, the only holes big enough are on the other side of the watch.  No other debris or dust present.

3. The balance staff is missing.  The peg below the balance wheel, that moves the escape pallet arm.

Would the staff just be a short lenght of wire, or a shaped "jewel"?  The hole for this is round, no shaping.

Bod

18 minutes ago, Bod said:

Well to resurrect an old topic, due to being unable to go out,  I've had another look at this watch, discovering a few things.

1. My eyesight is not up to working on anything smaller!

2. The seized winding mechanism, was a small piece of straw under the intermediate gear.  How it got there goodness knows, the only holes big enough are on the other side of the watch.  No other debris or dust present.

3. The balance staff is missing.  The peg below the balance wheel, that moves the escape pallet arm.

Would the staff just be a short lenght of wire, or a shaped "jewel"?  The hole for this is round, no shaping.

Bod

For clarity @Bod, Think of the balance like a bicycle wheel. the balance staff is actually more like the "axle" that is the heart of the balance. In your case, it sounds like the roller jewel is missing. That is the bit that engages the pallet fork and cycles it back and forth with each swing (rotation) of the balance. In the image below the roller jewel is also called the impulse jewel, both terms are correct. 

EDIT: I just looked at Ludgate movement online and I see the pallet is the older side lever pallet. So it looks quite different, however, the roller and fork arrangement are nearly identical and operate exactly the same.

rate_symmetry_diagram-1000.jpg.64206ebda2636de7fb097626230671da.jpg

Edited by FLwatchguy73

3 minutes ago, Bod said:

Thank you, it's the Impulse jewel thats missing.

I know I won't find a spare part, for this watch, but can they be replaced, with an alternative?

Bod

You can purchase an excellent running movement complete with pristine dial and hands here for $55 US if that helps any. It's a bit of an investment, but it may be worth it to you to have a fully functioning watch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-W-Benson-at-London-Pocket-Watch-Movement-diameter-40-4-mm-HC-Ludgate/173921710984?hash=item287e8ab388:g:B6AAAOSwkIZc9Iks

Disclaimer: Above auction is not mine, just trying to be helpful and sharing information.

• 2 years later...