Stem availability

I have a nice, little used Garrard watch without a stem. The movement is an MSR T 16. Various outlets I've tried show that it is obsolete in fact I can't find a T16 on the Ranfft website. Could anyone point me in the direction of an equivilent please? as Ive tried shuffling through those boxes of mixed stems without success...

Edited by chrisdt

Further on this I have found the correct stem for the movement. It is in fact 2824-1. The problem I have now is that...Hand changing OK (push in stem) quickset date change OK (push in stem again) No movement to autowind to start watch going. Just spins. Anyone got any idea as to what the problem might be?

8 hours ago, chrisdt said:

Further on this I have found the correct stem for the movement. It is in fact 2824-1. The problem I have now is that...Hand changing OK (push in stem) quickset date change OK (push in stem again) No movement to autowind to start watch going. Just spins. Anyone got any idea as to what the problem might be?

I'm not really sure what you mean with "No movement autowind to start watch going. Just spins". You have to bear with me since English isn't my native language.

The auto winder will just spin, the winding stem will normally not have any impact on this functionality. 
To check if the winder stem is correct one have to try it out in all 3 positions .
Position 1 - Normal winding action, you should feel a slightly higher resistance. Stem is fully pushed in.
Position 2 - Quick date set. Stem is pulled out a notch. (In the middle)
Position 3 - Time setting. Stem is pulled out completely.

All the measurements has to be correct. Sometimes on the 28XX series stems you don't only have the length of the guide pivot as a restriction but also a small collar in the end.  I attache a picture so you can see what i mean.

As I understand it works in Position 2 and Position 3 but unsure if you mean the Position 1 winding position isn't working.
If that's the case you have to adjust the two end restrictions a bit to let the winding pin get a bit deeper. When it's perfect you should see the winding pinion interact with the ratchet wheel when you wind the stem.

If they interact and the movement isn't ticking then something else is wrong  and the recommendation is to tear it down, give it a good clean up, oil and grease and go from there.

Stem.jpg

Winding_Position.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply HSL

Yes you are correct in your  assumption. The gears are not interacting. Position 2 and 3 are fine but when stem is pushed right in,  no slight resistance. On my stem there is no restriction collar as in your picture but I suppose the guide pivot could be too short. Your English is fine clear and consise...

Just took a quick look at the 2824-1 stem and it says you should use an ESA 952.101, this is the generic stem without the collar and fits the following movements:

ESA 952.111
ESA 952.121
ETA 2801-1
ETA 2802-2
ETA 2804-1
ETA 2804-2
ETA 2821-1
ETA 2822-2
ETA 2824-1
ETA 2824-2
ETA 2834-1
ETA 2834-2
ETA 2836-1
ETA 2836-2
ETA 2846

So if you got one ETA 952.101 stem and it still will not work then it is time to get the sleeves rolled up and investigate the key less work  ;).

Edited by HSL
  • Like 2

Just wanted to thank you again HSL for all your help. Took it all apart...It was the large horseshoe shaped spring at the end of the plate which had come adrift. Put that back on and now it does all three functions correctly. You can go back to your garden knowing that you have saved another watch movement from the scrap bin

5 hours ago, chrisdt said:

Just wanted to thank you again HSL for all your help. Took it all apart...It was the large horseshoe shaped spring at the end of the plate which had come adrift. Put that back on and now it does all three functions correctly. You can go back to your garden knowing that you have saved another watch movement from the scrap bin

i was going to say a spring sounds like the culprit here, glad you figured it out

As they say practice makes perfect and keep up with the good work!
Meanwhile I had assembled the last seedbed and now are ready for the season... (Had to cheat a bit and build it inside one of the greenhouses since the wind became to chilly)..

IMG_20190310_135117.jpg