Lesson: Part 2 - Removing Balance

I've watched again (and again) the lesson from Part 2, section on stripping the movement, video on Removing the Balance. I noticed that Mark, having taken the balance out of the movement put it on his workbench where it was supported by its lower pivot! He next lifted it and put it down properly flipped on its cock.

Is this the recommended way to do it? Isn't it dangerous to put balance wheel, with all the weight of the cock, down on the (lower) pivot? Am I worried too much?

• Thanks 1

I havn,t seen the video.

What breaks a pivot is impact ( a shock).  

Not only the weight of a cock, not even  the weight of the whole movement or the whole watch,  would not damage a pivot if gently place on pivot.

It is like trying to drive a nail into wood by pushing on it as hard as you can, wont do any good. While hitting on it's head with a hammer would drive the nail in. Push is force , hitting with hammer is impact ( shock) . 

This is a subject of basic dynamic.

Regards

• Like 1

I've watched again (and again) the lesson from Part 2, section on stripping the movement, video on Removing the Balance. I noticed that Mark, having taken the balance out of the movement put it on his workbench where it was supported by its lower pivot! He next lifted it and put it down properly flipped on its cock.
Is this the recommended way to do it? Isn't it dangerous to put balance wheel, with all the weight of the cock, down on the (lower) pivot? Am I worried too much?

I usually pick it up out of the movement and flip it around right away or hang it from the balance holder from the cock (name change needed:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

usually i use a balance tack but i only have one so if i have an extra balance iam working on i place it with bottom pivot down on a piece of rodico. i dont like flipping balance over because i always grab it by the cock, unlike mark how he grabs the cock and balance together. i guess its a matter of preference. placing it briefly on the desk like mark did will not cause any damage to the lower pivot though.

• Like 2

usually i use a balance tack but i only have one so if i have an extra balance iam working on i place it with bottom pivot down on a piece of rodico. i dont like flipping balance over because i always grab it by the cock, unlike mark how he grabs the cock and balance together. i guess its a matter of preference. placing it briefly on the desk like mark did will not cause any damage to the lower pivot though.

I usually grab the balance cock and then hold the cock and balance in my hand and then flip it over. Btw if this were not a watch repair blog and someone were to read what I just said, the site could be shut down:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 12:57 AM, saswatch88 said:

Make sure the upper pivot is out of the jewel if you grab the cock and BW togther and you are not squashing the HS. The BW is not to be actually grabbed rather the wheel hangis on tweezers.

• Like 1