Aerowatch Neuchatel conversion...

Hi to you all....i am getting married in September and i have decide to buy a watch that will fit my suit :)...i have found a few over size watches and i just fell in love whit them. I am 1.96 m tall and small watches just dont fit my hand wrist.At this moment i have Invicta Corduba  model.3449 and trust me its like a wrist clock not wrist watch. I have using that watch evry day and now i just cant imagine my self whit small watch on my wrist.

Those watches i mention above...i have realise that they are pocket watch conversions made in Ukraine. 1000 for and 1000 against....i am 1001 for :)...but also i have realise that they place price to much for old pocket watches whit some not original dials and Parnis watch cases. Sooooooooooooooooooo i have decide to make my own pocket watch conversion. I have found a nice Aero watch Neuchatel pocket watch whit beautifull dial, and it is moving whit UNITAS 6498 movment whic is in prestige condition. I know that UNITAS 6498 doesnt have shock resistance (its not INCABLOCK version) but i will not not wear that watch evry day. It will be more like memory for me...

After all i wrrite here is my problem....i have order Parnis watch case 45 mm square case and i somebody tell me that this case will not fit because its made for 0.8 mm dials and my dial is 0.4 mm. 

Is that possible??? My dial diameter is 36,5 and its said on advertise that this case will fit any 6497 6498 st 36 movment and 35-37 mm dial. They didnt mention dial thicknes. And some other guy told me that most important thing is that i have to make shim 0.4 to insert beatween dial and movment so it will fit this case...is taht possible? will i have that problem or what?Pls help...

This is the case i order....https://www.ebay.com/itm/45mm-Square-Watch-Case-for-UNITAS-ETA-6497-6498-ST36-Movevement-Wristwatch/202507526147?hash=item2f2663a003:m:mHbKrPFx7xBQ3ECUAhCTscg

52594298_2041927562591039_2163256378523648000_n.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Hello

It sounds like a cool little project you got going on here.
I'm not very familiar with these Parnis cases but the theory is the same for the most.
The pocket watch movements are mostly put into place by opening the front lid and dropped into place, this means it doesn't matter which thickness you got on the dial since the distance to the winding stem center and the tube in the case will be adjusted by the backside of the dial.
But on wristwatches the movement is most likely placed from the bottom and against an edge inside the case, now the position of the center of the stem is decided by the fromt of the dial. If the dial is supposed to be 0.8 mm thick but instead is 0.4 mm the center of the stem will be 0.8 - 0.4 = 0.4 mm off towards the center of the tube in the case.
If this offset matters or not is depending of the clearance in the tube. One  always should strive for perfection so the easy fix is to put a shim under the dial.If you can't find a factory made shim you can always buy a sparkplugg gap measuring tool from the local gasstation for 1$ or two and use the 0.4 mm blade for your shims.

You are built on Slavic battle Chassis. No small watches for you.You could use something soft and easy to work and less likely to corrode ,brass or plastic.Stainless (inox as you call it) is hard to cut and has nasty sharp edges. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Edited by yankeedog
content
  • Like 1

Upssss i bought abother one :)....this one is whit inca block....its eta 6498-1 movement and not so good condition as my watch maker told me...it was used heavely...it was used like every day watch...its works fine but it happend that he stop two times...what could be problem..and here is one picture what am i usjng like evry day watch and pocket watch :))just to se the scale :))676bc5161dc3489b42c9a7241a6972cd.jpg639b3ca0e74d787388738d09f454ca4b.jpg0d02021fdd20f0756782e3a694d7205a.jpg4bb0cf557dde10eae89e97e168976ad3.jpg

Послато са GT-I9301I уз помоћ Тапатока

• 4 weeks later...

Still i didnt place movement holders into case. Waiting them to arrive from Malasiya. But so far this is how it look like. I have trim the winding steam..hand made leather strap 28 mm on watch and 26 mm on buckle. Overall looknice :)b8998ab478e274a0db210a80399e52c8.jpg1e84d74e051f3028598331472e9866ee.jpgbef663356417d6db5e2d760ef0733981.jpg9abdac89dab345fb8424285f30694d07.jpg

Послато са SM-J600FN уз помоћ Тапатока

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
is it the picture, or is there a slight dial misalignment
Yes it is and it doesnt fit case that i bought...on advertise it said that will fit 40-41.5 mm dial. My dial is 40 mm and it drop down the case. I have bought this dial from e bay down on the picture but now i have dilema will this dial fit my movement.my movement is 6498-1 and this dial is 6498. Are they compactibile? Will it fit???75d133d30eb391e4cf191fcd183bd911.jpg05f6ac45949e87260f75c4976c2a497a.jpg

My best answer is probably. Your movement is a 6498-1. This means it has some revision over the standard 6498. I do not know what the revision is.  Probably it is nothing major such as changing the dial feet position. 

My best answer is probably. Your movement is a 6498-1. This means it has some revision over the standard 6498. I do not know what the revision is.  Probably it is nothing major such as changing the dial feet position. 
It will fit :)))

• 2 weeks later...