ETA 6497 Movement

mcoulton

Hello

I need to purchase a movement for the watch repair lessons and the one recommended is an ETA 6497 or clone type. I've come across this Seagul ST36 on Ebay for $63 CDN. Since I've never bought a movement before I'm wondering if this would be a good clone to buy and is it at a good price? I don't believe Sellita make one.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Michael

I have a 6497 clone i use as a practice movement, im sure it will be fine to use for the course. There is a difference in the bridges, the clones being in three parts compared to the ETA's two but it should be fine for a practice movement. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will either confirm this or correct me if im wrong.

Ive uploaded a couple of images, the clone has a separate bridge for the escape wheel next to the balance wheel.

ETA

ETA6497-1-BS.jpg

Clone

s-l1600.jpg

• 10 months later...

ETA was the first to adapt incabloc shock protection, the system is patented.

You find plenty of watches with good ST96 movement on sale by Indian sellers at ebay, usually in 10 to 15 bucks price range, swiss movement made in India. If you buy two of the same, especially same shock system, preferably incabloc,  you would have spare in case you loose or break any part and would not be at the mercy of high cost spare parts. Dials coming from India are usually decal printed. 

ST96 keeps on ticking for only couple of hunderd years, you may even come to decide to wear the piece. 

Good luck.