Question about Dumont #8

saswatch88

Dumont #8 tweezers are advertised for pivot straightening. Can anyone attest to how well they work, and also how do you actually use them. I read you can also use these to straighten a bent hand. Just want to get some info since they cost about $80 new and been looking for a decent used pair.

As you can see, there not like normal tweezers these have no tips. I suppose it makes it easier to hold the pivot when trying to straighten the thing. I have never used such a tool. If a pivot is going to snap, it doesn’t matter how much you spend, it will break off.

https://ssl824.fusionbot.com/b/ss_cache?cch=9858767&ck=41308233737&sn=157906848&k=Dumont*+8+tweezer*

• Like 2

I got some when I was in school 20 years ago. They are used with the part in the lathe, heating the tweezers in an alcohol lamp until they are almost too warm to hold.

They work ok. Like OH said, if the pivot's gonna snap it'll snap. I moved to using stout nickel tweezers for this a long time ago as they won't leave marks on the pivot. They're also great general tweezers, grippy and easy to dress and gentle. I'd say get 3 pairs of Dumont 12 instead of the 8.