mcoulton

Buying Tools in Canaca

Hello

Can anyone make a suggestion as to the best place to buy or order tools in Canada? I've looked at the sites listed within the forum resources page, however I find the selection isn't as extensive as ofrie.com. When buying tools from the States, do I have to pay duty on them since I live in Canada?

Thanks

Michael

If you pay duty for other things from the States then I would think yes. Why don't you give them a call or email them. Buy the best tools you can afford. To start you need a good pair of tweezers dumont are the best you can get which is what I always used and bergeon watchmakers screw drivers. 

If you do buy things from the US, I have had very good luck with Esslinger.Even their economy grade is pretty good.It is not nearly as good as what Old Hippy suggests,but for a non professional they are serviceable.

Virtually all US and Canadian goods have traded without duty for decades until the recent inane tariff wars, but I believe its where its made that determines duty, not where you buy it so it can vary.

BUT..... no duty does not mean no cost.  You still have to pay HST  (VAT) and often have to pay crazy admin fees from the carrier.  That imo is an unsavory business practice - I mean you know you have to do it so bake it into the price rather than stand extortion like on the stoop demanding extra money.  UPS is particular bad, fees can be more than shipping.  Best is the post....if I can't get a US seller to send via USPS I usually don't bother (there is a way around it, have it drop shipped to a service and then they reship to you via USPS).

The other problem you get is some vendors insist they use  UPS or Fedex or something rather than the post.  This can turn $15 in shipping into $100.  I believe Frie falls into that catagory, they have some strange and hostile feeling shipping policy if I remember.

One of the best vendors in Canada is HW Perrin.  Not much of web site but they are really helpful and in my experience they have or will get anything you need.   That and kijiji, ebay (watch the shipping) and amazon.ca (check prices they are not necessarily lower!).   I've mostly built my shop by buying up estates over the years that have come up on the classifieds....but obviously that will depend on patience and locations

Edited by measuretwice