clockboy

A clock challenge !!!

I have had this one arrive yesterday "no hurry was the message"  bit of a challenge to say the least. I think it is american  but a complete wreck. It is close friends so I will give it a go but IMG_3192.thumb.jpg.f5dffcf671b07c4ac7fc5bcb6bc19b3b.jpgIMG_3190.thumb.jpg.2ec4e7e2b27a0fee72055e515dea8d9d.jpgIMG_3191.thumb.jpg.ab2f62b76c037ae8fa4010ebf5370998.jpgWish me luck

It is an Ansonia, and as OH said parts are easy to get just buy an old movement off eBay if you need any. The movement will have a number on the bottom right side of the faceplate something like, 9 or  9 1/2 so it is easy to get the right one for parts. It will clean up okay as well, here is one I did about a year ago.

a-IMG_9965-1.thumb.png.c001c56517118e507769dc549262d74d.pngd-IMG_0024-1.thumb.png.b4dc47fedb8651c8d1a104bc45d45c8f.png

15 hours ago, Squiffything said:

It's an Ansonia Clock co. "King" Shelf or mantle clock. Available in oak and walnut and possibly other exotic woods. Lovely engraved glass door.

The glass door is just a transfer, you can still buy them today.

Ok guys thanks as I thought. Three issues found so far. The case is falling apart I suspect the glues have dried. One of the mainsprings end is broken which might be repairable and the third the suspension spring is snapped off. I am sure I will find other faults such as worn bushing etc.

What fun!!

I always gave an estimate for repairs no matter how small or large. Write up the work carried out and any parts made or replaced handed back.

If you have the time this would be a good project to photo in stages to the work carried out. A before and after explaining so others can see the re-build from pieces to the completed task. 

On 3/7/2019 at 12:03 PM, clockboy said:

I have had this one arrive yesterday "no hurry was the message"  bit of a challenge to say the least. I think it is american  but a complete wreck. It is close friends so I will give it a go but IMG_3192.thumb.jpg.f5dffcf671b07c4ac7fc5bcb6bc19b3b.jpgIMG_3190.thumb.jpg.2ec4e7e2b27a0fee72055e515dea8d9d.jpgIMG_3191.thumb.jpg.ab2f62b76c037ae8fa4010ebf5370998.jpgWish me luck

You always seem to get the challenging ones CB..It will be a lovely clock when finished..

I am not sure how familiar you are with this type of movement so just a pointer when assembling the movement.

The lever that goes into the cam (oval ) and the count wheel (circle) need to be set up like you see them as you put the movement together as there is no adjustment later. The set lever is on the other side of the 1st cog (square)  after the fly, I position the pin about opposite to the lever stop which is normally enough set for the count wheel/cam lever to start when the set lever drops.

Point 2, you need to have the hands shaft lifting lever in the dropped position as the minute hand has no adjustment, if not it could start the train/gong at anytime between the 3/4 and hour.

You may know all this already, however for others that are reading this and do not, the best way to save issues later is to take photos before dismantling and also maybe draw where the levers are on a pad as when you try to take it apart many of the cogs will lift out no matter how carefully you try to get the plate off.  

d-IMG_0024-1.jpg

Thanks Jimmy this is the first one of the movements for me so very helpful pointers. As a matter of habit I do take pics of any striking movement, paying attention to where the pins and levers are positioned. As you say it can save a lot of time. 

Hi Clockboy      There is plenty of info on these clocks I have a couple and a spare movement. Checkout articals by David LaBounty he has some good drawings on the lever arrangements worth a look. as clocks they come up pretty well,  interesting project you will enjoy it.