Baird

Hello from Bristol, TN!

Hello!  My name is Baird and I'm from Bristol, TN.  

I got into watches about 12 years ago, and started taking them apart about 6 years ago.  Thanks to Mark's videos, I've successfully repaired or refurbed many vintage watches for my own enjoyment,  I don't do this for a living.  I do this for myself.  Maybe someday I can either take classes and become certified or apprentice, but for now, it's just for me.  But I love doing it and it brings great enjoyment to my life.  I may not post here a lot, I'm not a huge forum person anymore, but I'll be reading and searching for information, for sure, and poke my head out when I need help.   I'm also a big Saab guy.  Haha.  

Either way, thanks for letting me poke around.

-Baird

Saab? I know you are used to doing stuff yourself.I have an old Volvo 240. The guys at the local garage look at it like it came from outer space. I can't image what they could do to a Saab. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Ultrasonic machines are kinda strange in that my original little one lasted 20 years or more having a beaker in it which everyone says is evil and bad and yet it worked beautifully. I even remember finding a replacement unit looked identical can't remember where I got it from and it just didn't work. but one of the problems of older electronics is the electrolytic capacitors don't last forever. Then I was happy a friend housecleaning got rid of the bigger ultrasonic unit that I'm using. Which does have the advantage of much more intense ultrasonic energy. The watch cleaning fluid seemed to work just fine at room temperature I'm not sure I want even think about how well it is going to work If the solution is hot. Whether you have the heat or not depends upon how fast you want to do things? So you wouldn't use it for the watch cleaning but what if you were cleaning the bands Or case? For instance we have several of  this company's products where I work. For cleaning the metal straps on watches the heat really does speed things up. But if you weren't in a rush that's not going to be an issue.
    • The band arrived for the Timex LED, so I swapped back to that today, but I wore the Seiko in the garden as I was afraid I might put a scratch on the Timex, which would be a pain, given how much time I spent cleaning and polishing the thing. 
    • I was thinking about your original question of how do we remember where everything fits we don't. Watch repair is all about practicing continuous practicing lots of practicing. Taking marks course just gets you started you still need lots of practice the definition of lots of practice is your entire life. Learning watch repair is not something you learn overnight. Then it's really really helpful to understand what every single component in the Watch is for and how the watch Works. ideally you should have really good problem-solving abilities. Because unfortunately With watch repair that's going to be required. Because as pointed out above even if you took photographs you may find that others perhaps didn't put the watch back together the way it was supposed to go together. Or things don't work and you're going to have to  figure out why they don't work or why the? Then today with cameras take lots of pictures of everything if you've never seen it before photograph it. If you never look at the pictures again that's fine but it's always nice to know you had a picture of anything that bothers you.  Then if you're into note taking do that. Then if you're really enthusiastic I would keep a journal of every single watch you do. Especially if there are other your own personal watches. That way years From now you can go back and look at what you did To the watch how it's running now choices you made especially for lubrication Like was that a good choice for that lubrication or maybe it's a bad choice. Then cousins is very good for tech sheets. But as a reminder not every single watch will have a tech sheet Then in case you're curious about my answer of we don't remember is because those of us who've worked on a lot of watches can assemble a watch that we've never seen before. If you understand what all the basic components are how they look how they go together for the most part we don't have to memorize we just know where everything goes. But we also recognize when you should have a picture and feel annoyed when we don't have a picture.
    • The original question relates to use of gasoline (petrol) and whether or not it will dissolve/soften shellac. A good question. Not mentioned is the use of stoddards, which is the lion share of some expensive proprietary watch and clock cleaning solutions. Stoddards is fine with shellac. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Welcome to the forum.