Timex Camper Restoration

JerseyMo

2 hours ago, yankeedog said:

Looking at your photos, I see no glaring obvious defect.It seems to me that your greatest chance for errant friction would be where the center wheel shaft goes through the main plate.

yep, will have to go a process of illumination approach.  One part at a time to see where she stops.  Would be interesting if indeed it is the center pinon because I think that is the one part that makes this movement unique from its closest relative.  ( the 106)

• 1 year later...

I was wondering If you could help me trouble shoot a problem I'm having. So bought a 91 Timex camper. I am fixing it up at the moment.

However it doesn't want to stay wound. I found that if I wound the watch and held the crown (so it wouldn't back spin/unwind) the watch ran and all was well. Is it possible that the, " click spring on the barrel winder" as AndyHull referred to it, is worn out and no longer able to resist the wound tension? 

Thank you for any insight you maybe able to give on the subject. 

16 hours ago, Monty95 said:

I was wondering If you could help me trouble shoot a problem I'm having. So bought a 91 Timex camper. I am fixing it up at the moment.

However it doesn't want to stay wound. I found that if I wound the watch and held the crown (so it wouldn't back spin/unwind) the watch ran and all was well. Is it possible that the, " click spring on the barrel winder" as AndyHull referred to it, is worn out and no longer able to resist the wound tension? 

Thank you for any insight you maybe able to give on the subject. 

that does very much sound like the click spring is worn down.  When new the tip of the click is a v shaped fork. Over time the bottom section wears down so no winding gears just slips. short of a replacement there is no other correction that will hold up.

• 3 years later...
On 3/12/2019 at 3:04 PM, AndyHull said:

Is the click spring on the barrel winder (highlighted below) available as a spare part?

If so, where would I source them?

TimexClickSpring.png

I need this exact part, too.  I feel like there ought to be a way to fabricate a replacement with a stiff piece of wire.  Anyone tried it?  --Chris

13 hours ago, CKC232 said:

I need this exact part, too.  I feel like there ought to be a way to fabricate a replacement with a stiff piece of wire.  Anyone tried it?  --Chris

it is very thin spring steel maybe try a piece of mainspring or a dentent spring.