homemade cleaning machine ?

Switched to a square bottle. Notice there is hardly any vortex now. Looks promising. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

I may modify the magnetic stirrer in future. At present, the hotplate doesn't work unless the spinning motor is on. If I plan to use the hotplate as a parts dryer, I will have to bypass the switch.

I may also modify the motor to add an automatic reverse direction function.

Something weird happened to phone. I don't know if it's the new version of android or Samsung app. Keyboard layout has extra stuff now.

If you click on the 3 dots you get the option of downloading the video. Then you can see it on your video player.

• Thanks 1

I thought that you were going to spin the liquid and then enter the basket such that it was fixed, and at a greater distance from the magnet. Could be worth trying if magnetism proves to be an issue. 

That's too simple. Where's the fun in that. :D

But seriously, I did consider that design. But I didn't think the flow of liquid through such a fine mesh would be enough to clean the watch parts.

Another design I was considering was to move the magnets further out to the periphery, so that the basket is not directly over it.

But I'll test out all methods to see which works best. I've got a pile of scrap watches from ebay. I should probably clean them and sort out the usable parts.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone tried to build a watch cleaning machine from scratch? Looking at the ones that show up on the bay I am surprised at the prices they fetch here in the UK for what is essentially a fairly simple bit of kit that often needs a lot of work to get them up and running safely.

Although my horological skills are so far not much to write home about I think I should be able to build something that would work but would like to avoid having to re-invent the wheel.

I would be really grateful if you could share your creations.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about making something using a small drill press. The reversing operation is not figured, as well as the rpm. The basket, may disappear from my wife's,  new tea brewing in a cup, Christmas gift. I have been using the ultrasonic cleaner, and drying in a toaster oven, not the best results, just ok.

• Like 1

The reversing is a real thing. It doscombobulates the parts. With real pro solutions ultasonic is a sideline subject in a machine that spins in both directions. Manufacturers want ultrasonic so if pro you're humped there. But the old Elma manual machines worked great, didn't even reverse. But it was Rubisol or whatever then 3 benzine rinses, so, yeah. Spotless. The 3 benzine rinses help a ton.

If you want to make a machine go for it. But count your time, you might see that an old Elma isn't that expensive.

I have a machine that distilles alcohol for the rinse, it's from the late 60s. I'm very much looking into reproducing this machine on a basic level, but it's off the map from regular machines. Either go glass jar naphtha brush (and sawdust), or buy commercial solutions and a basic machine, or full 13k Greiner modern machine, which gives similar results, or, make a machine that will do the bare minimum + the time spent making it.

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

The reversing is a real thing. It doscombobulates the parts. With real pro solutions ultasonic is a sideline subject in a machine that spins in both directions. Manufacturers want ultrasonic so if pro you're humped there. But the old Elma manual machines worked great, didn't even reverse. But it was Rubisol or whatever then 3 benzine rinses, so, yeah. Spotless. The 3 benzine rinses help a ton.

If you want to make a machine go for it. But count your time, you might see that an old Elma isn't that expensive.

I have a machine that distilles alcohol for the rinse, it's from the late 60s. I'm very much looking into reproducing this machine on a basic level, but it's off the map from regular machines. Either go glass jar naphtha brush (and sawdust), or buy commercial solutions and a basic machine, or full 13k Greiner modern machine, which gives similar results, or, make a machine that will do the bare minimum + the time spent making it.

Good thoughts.  I have more money than I will ever be able to spend before I die, but even when it makes no economic sense, I make things that I can buy.  I am an engineer...can't help it.

An Engineer

• Like 1

With regards to making the basket I had a similar idea as HectorLooi posted above with his photos (link to video is faulty) in the sense to use something that is commercially available.

For a basket I found this on Cousins and it had a snug fit into a glass jar. Probably too snug as I note the real machines have a stainless steel mesh around the container walls to act as a wave/current breaker. Off-cuts of stainless steel mesh can be sourced fairly cheaply. Pots like this can be sealed off really well.419111418_IMG_20210214_0944331.thumb.jpg.f2ef6eeaaa6b4a78d8b9cae567e8530c.jpg1802805749_IMG_20210214_0944531.thumb.jpg.7b5ff2c5bafb0f0f7e6536cb21e00086.jpg

I suspect the basket would need a lid to avoid the parts becoming unintentionally airborne but if that lid is made of plywood for example it could serve as a float in an ultrasonic bath?

I have not got a drill press but a cordless drill which has a reverse could work or a small electric motor powered by a 9v battery? The amount of torque required is minimal.

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 10:35 AM, Extractor said:

Has anyone tried to build a watch cleaning machine from scratch? Looking at the ones that show up on the bay I am surprised at the prices they fetch here in the UK for what is essentially a fairly simple bit of kit that often needs a lot of work to get them up and running safely.

Although my horological skills are so far not much to write home about I think I should be able to build something that would work but would like to avoid having to re-invent the wheel.

I would be really grateful if you could share your creations.

Many thanks.

I too am looking to try and build my own machine.  But I don't know where to start. This gentleman had the right idea.

image.thumb.png.d4992709d500a74418dfd4cb323557e2.png