Help loose rotor

Hey i recently picked up an older seiko to use as donor parts/ dial when i want to try to build a watch of my own. I didn't expect it to work however when it came in it did work. Besides a slight rattle. I wound it doing the seoko shuffle for a bit and it worked well. I decided to look inside thats when i realized the rotor was loose looks like it just popped off of the stem that it spins on. I didnt see any screws to hold it to said post i layed it back on loosely and it would intermittently have its gear line up with the other gear right near it but after setting it back on to always light up with that gear now it doesnt seem to wind itself anymore. Anybody know where to go from here or whats going on?

Some basic information you can provide for us.  Seiko caliber for starters. There are a lot of Seiko automatics out there. A close up photo of the rotor and the movement. I've yet to see a Seiko automatic that didn't have the rotor fastened to the movement, usually by a screw. If the screw came loose, it may have fallen into the movement and not be immediately obvious.  Are there any marks on the inside of the back cover where the rotor has been dragging on it while rotating? If so, a photo of that would be nice to see as well.

57 minutes ago, TexasDon said:

Some basic information you can provide for us.  Seiko caliber for starters. There are a lot of Seiko automatics out there. A close up photo of the rotor and the movement. I've yet to see a Seiko automatic that didn't have the rotor fastened to the movement, usually by a screw. If the screw came loose, it may have fallen into the movement and not be immediately obvious.  Are there any marks on the inside of the back cover where the rotor has been dragging on it while rotating? If so, a photo of that would be nice to see as well.

I will get back with pics tomorrow

16 hours ago, TexasDon said:

15517250037152434536018226920507.jpg

15517250249817367501125884423087.jpg

15517250681531078551470013048469.jpg

15517251434704927896319092878564.jpg

13 minutes ago, Marc5555 said:

15517250037152434536018226920507.jpg

15517250249817367501125884423087.jpg

15517250681531078551470013048469.jpg

15517251434704927896319092878564.jpg

Well now that i looked at it closer i was able to remedy that however ive noticed that i cant switch the day on the daydate without advancing 24 hours. Can set date fine just not day. Is there anybody that knows anything about this? Also is there anyway to set it to not spanish it was in english before i reattatched the rotor then i noticed its in spanish

1 minute ago, Nucejoe said:

Day should change manually as you turn the crown in the opposit direction you changed date with,  You will then see spanish and english days alternatively change , choose your preference.

Haha yes thank you for your response. i understand this however this one seems to be broken to adjust manually however it changes when i advance the hands 24 hours and is stuck when i do so in Spanish

The circular grooves inside the case back clearly show that the rotor has been loose. The slotted screw in the center of the rotor needs to be tightened when you reinstall the rotor. Snug but not overly tight should do it. 

Nucejoe has already advised how to advance the day. If you set the day or date after 12:00 noon, set it to the previous day, then rotate the hands past midnight to turn it over to the correct day or date. Then set the correct time. If you need further assistance, just ask. 

10 minutes ago, TexasDon said:

The circular grooves inside the case back clearly show that the rotor has been loose. The slotted screw in the center of the rotor needs to be tightened when you reinstall the rotor. Snug but not overly tight should do it. 

Nucejoe has already advised how to advance the day. If you set the day or date after 12:00 noon, set it to the previous day, then rotate the hands past midnight to turn it over to the correct day or date. Then set the correct time. If you need further assistance, just ask. 

Again. That works fine but the way that sets the date from the crown seems to be broken. And it is stuck in spanish because you cant use the wheel to set the day

The attached .pdf is the technical manual for your movement. If you can change the date but not the day, then you have a different issue. It will likely be necessary to uncase the movement, then remove the hands and dial to examine the date jumper mechanism and find the fault. Unless you have some serious experience in servicing these watch movements, I would recommend that you either have a professional watchmaker do the repairs or sell the watch as is and look for something a bit newer and not so collectible. 

If you go with the second option, look at Seiko 7S26 or 7S36 movements. They have been around for close to 20 years and are both plentiful and inexpensive.

Seiko 7009A - Technical Guide.pdf

Thank you everyone for your help if i looked at it and fiddled for about 1 more minute i would have figured everything out but you all were very helpful. Turns out the 7009a movements you press the crown in position one to change the day rather than turn the crown in position 2 like normal 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...