jwa

Newbie with Elgin 15 jewel 216 pocket watch

I have been studying Youtube videos which show servicing the Elgin 15 jewel pocket watch.  I purchased the watch from Ebay.  I don't see in the videos how the mainspring is gently unwound.  On this watch a plate covers the winding drum.  Do I remove the plate which exposes the click mechanism to enable the spring to be gently unwound?

If this has been asked before, my appologies.  Just now found this forum.

John

It's nice in the introduction section to introduce yourself then in the Watch repair help and advice section ask your question. Then it be nice to have a picture so we can see what you're seeing. But in the absence of that with the movement out of the case see if there is a hole in the side of the movement near where the mainspring barrel is that should release your click.

John, 

Are you the guy who makes a lot of videos which I am now studiously studying?  You would'nt be associated with airplanes by any chance?

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, jwa said:

I have been studying Youtube videos which show servicing the Elgin 15 jewel pocket watch.  I purchased the watch from Ebay.  I don't see in the videos how the mainspring is gently unwound.  On this watch a plate covers the winding drum.  Do I remove the plate which exposes the click mechanism to enable the spring to be gently unwound?

If this has been asked before, my appologies.  Just now found this forum.

John

"let down the main spring"  there are several ways to do this.  first find the ratchet paul or click.   vin

8 hours ago, jwa said:

Are you the guy who makes a lot of videos which I am now studiously studying?  You would'nt be associated with airplanes by any chance?

Unfortunately that's not me.