How To Remove Stem (Winder)

eric

I am new to this site and know very little about watch repairs in fact nothing at all, just wondering if any of you guys could tell me how to remove the stem from my watch.

I have managed to replace the battery after removing the crystal although it would have been much more simple if I knew how to remove the stem, so little room with the stem still attached, managed to bend the second finger in the process, did straighten it somewhat, still looks like a dogs hind leg but it works. Thanks in advance

Regards Eric.

post-399-0-57232000-1416011726_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-42809100-1416011787_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-86292500-1416011849_thumb.jpg

post-399-0-42382200-1416011944_thumb.jpg

HI Eric,

If you've managed to change the battery by only removing the crystal I would say you've done well.

Looking at your second picture, there seems to be a depression at the bottom where the flat surface meets the curved. You have to pry up here (be careful of your hands if your using a sharp knife.

Once the case back is removed battery change is straightforward but getting the casebac on may not be. You may need to exert a lot pf pressure on the caseback and if you dont have the right tools,this may not be possible without placing to much pressure on the crystal. The right tool supports the watch/takes the weight on the metal edge around the crystal while pressure is applied evenly on the caseback.

Since your problem is only with the seconds hand, why dont you pop the crystal off again, fix it and get the crystal on again?

Anil

I am pretty sure this is a one piece case. There is no back.

Tip: You can use the stem by using a presto style hand remover, it will come out whole (it's not a split stem). The glass can be removed either with a crystal lift or using a syringe over the pendant tube once the crown and stem is removed.

Thank you Mark that's the answer I was looking for, I have a crystal lifter and it works fine just need to buy a hand removing tool and should be in business. Once again thank you for answering my question. Regards Eric.

HI Eric,

If you've managed to change the battery by only removing the crystal I would say you've done well.

Looking at your second picture, there seems to be a depression at the bottom where the flat surface meets the curved. You have to pry up here (be careful of your hands if your using a sharp knife.

Once the case back is removed battery change is straightforward but getting the casebac on may not be. You may need to exert a lot pf pressure on the caseback and if you dont have the right tools,this may not be possible without placing to much pressure on the crystal. The right tool supports the watch/takes the weight on the metal edge around the crystal while pressure is applied evenly on the caseback.

Since your problem is only with the seconds hand, why dont you pop the crystal off again, fix it and get the crystal on again?

Anil

Hi Anil thank you for your reply, you cannot gain entry from the rear of watch, I have had a reply from Mark Lovick  and he has shown me how to go about the job through one of his videos, All the same thanks for your answer, Regards Eric.

Thank you Mark that's the answer I was looking for, I have a crystal lifter and it works fine just need to buy a hand removing tool and should be in business. Once again thank you for answering my question. Regards Eric.

These stems are not held in very strongly - I bet you could get your nails in and pull it out, this may even be a little safer than the hand lifter because the case is made of 9ct gold and will be quite soft.

When putting the stem back in, go softly softly and with a turning action until you feel the bolt engage the stem, making sure the 3o'clock is exactly lined up with the pendant.

Hope this helps.

:)

• Like 1

These stems are not held in very strongly - I bet you could get your nails in and pull it out, this may even be a little safer than the hand lifter because the case is made of 9ct gold and will be quite soft.

When putting the stem back in, go softly softly and with a turning action until you feel the bolt engage the stem, making sure the 3o'clock is exactly lined up with the pendant.

Hope this helps.

:)

Thanks again for your reply, just tried your suggestion and it worked a treat, the stem flew out with just a little bit of brute force, is their anything you don't know to do with watches, Brilliant.