Varying rate in AS 1700

Hi 

I'm still learning on a AS1700. It didn't work until I put it through a clean.  Then it looked good on the time grapher for a while.  Though I noticed that the power reserve didn't last long.  While attempting to get a look at the mainspring, it popped out of the barrel and I had to rewind it.  Though I forgot to add more anti slipping grease.  Would that be necessary?   BTW, this was the first time I was able to rewind a spring.  

Now the rate is varying on the time grapher from -170 to +10 over 20 seconds or so.  Besides automatic, the movement allows manual winding.  I don't know how much spring resistance should be felt at a full wind.  There doesn't seem to be too much compared to a manual only wind.

Any thoughts welcome

IMG_3533.JPG

How long does the does the power last for after you have wound it up?

When you are manually winding it up can you feel a sudden more resistance and then hear a zzza faint sound?

When your winding up manually see if you can count about 7 turns of the mainspring that should be fully wound.

If you hear slipping early then may be too much grease.

What type of mainspring is it? Is it the old 2 piece one? I have had this problem with the very old ones they just slip all the time and I get about 4 to 6 hours of reserve.

May be the escapement etc has a problem. Was it touched when you took the barrel out?

Was it working good before?

Braking grease is necessary and should be done before you can carry out tests.

Try winding full through the detached manual wind to see how long it runs on full wind.

In case of power discharge, possible issue with barrel, MS and lubrication.

The self winding mech, should be well serviced, tear down the module, check pivots and jewels/ holes, use recommended oil. Reversers require special attension ,clean  and only special oil.There are proceedures for test of the selfwinder mech.

Lets see if it runs Ok then as you first observed on timegrapher.

Regards

The MS is new.  After about seven winds I can hear/feel it slip.  Though, very subtle.  

It was very erratic before I "serviced " it.  Though, it looked good on the time grapher afterward.  But, I only observed it for a short while.  Now, after rewinding the MS it looks poorly again.

What steps should I take to troubleshoot?  I'm very much a beginner.  This is about the 5th watch that I've "serviced" and didn't kill.

Thank you

From what you're saying it doesn't sound like the ms is the fault. I think it's the escapment, palet fork, balance that's at fault giving you those noisy readings. Too much palet jewel grease? Possible damage to the palet fork, escapment or palet fork bridge might even be the jewels are warn.

What type of oil grease did you use?

Could be dirt in that area. Have check and see. Can you take a photo of it a close up of that area?

Best of luck with it