Take of the cap of the juvels

Cheers mates!

Would like to hear how you people do when you have to remove the capstone on the juvels in the movment ??

Is it an okay way to do it this way:

I put i uside down on some radico, and take very thin needle an push out the capstone gentle, then I turn in right side up, and put an small dash of right type of oil in the center, and put back the capstone the right way.

Comments on that..

Good day to ya all...

No cleaning at all !!!?? Refer to my incomplete thread  titled" tips on safe removal cleaning installation of fidly cab stones

To clean end stone's flat surface, place a piece of cardboard or thick paper with honey comb rough surface on a flat anvil or flat surface, place end stone flat surface on top of the paper, pour some lighter fluid on paper, hold cab stone down with finger and rub the stone on wet surface, press down on stone  as hard as you like, you will be surprised how shiny the flat surface of stone turns out.

Some tiny pieces of the cardboard aggregates around the stone which may not be visible at regulare magnification, to rinse that off , drop the stone in lighter fluid, remove stone with a clean tea spoon or tools you like.ready to be oiled.

Pegging the holes in jewels is beyound 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, arkobugg said:

And my qestion was actually how to separat the cap stone from the rest....

Like you, I use Rodico. Usually, the end stone sticks to the Rodico so no need to poke it. However, if the end stone won't release from the jewel hole setting I place the entire setting in naphtha (which I'll eventually do anyway). If the flat surface of the end stone isn't clean enough after ultrasonic cleaning I use my favourite tool which is a fibreglass scratch brush. It's a bit fiddly, as I need to hold the end stone with tweezers while brushing it, but with a bit of practice it works really well and removes every last bit of oil and dirt (40X magnification stereo microscope). Finally, I rinse it in IPA while brushing it lightly with a regular small art brush.

In case the stone dosn,t come off, I drop the whole jewels assembly in a jar add little lighter fluid or  any fluid in which oil disloves, close the lid and rotate the jar to get the fluid circle few turns around, the cab comes off from chaton.

I use dark color jars( ladies makeup jars)  which lets me see the cab in contrast.

In extreme case of a real stubburn end stone, I use balance with one broken pivot.

Insert the good pivot through the holes of chaton and that of the jewel, flip over to place the end stone on cardboard, press the pivot to push the end stone out and released from chaton.

• Like 1