Cheap kit for watch building

RidanF

Hi Ridan  welcome to the fun factory,  I dont know of any specific kits to build a watch ( but I guess somebody on here will) probably best to buy some Russian  / Chinese cheapies and have a bit of fun there are posts on here for dial customisation  that way you learn what to do and any disaster doesn't cost a fortune  enjoy the experiance.  good luck 

They're on the wrong side of the pond but follow the link and it will give you an idea about what's available. 

https://www.esslinger.com/make-my-own-watch-automatic-kit/

BTW, welcome and I'm glad to see you here. Lots of friendly knowledgeable folks on this forum willing to share their expertise and knowledge freely. Ask away and I assure you that you aren't bothering anyone.

Sincere people asking honest questions are never a bother.I have also dealt with esslinger..no problems or rip offs there. You could assemble a watch from parts as well..some of the current production ETA automatic movements and their clones seem to have a whole industry dedicated  to making you dizzy from the variety of cases and dials available.

Hi RidanF and welcome.

From my little experience I don't think that starting with a kit is the best way to learn, plus it won't be easy to find one under $120/150, so if I were you I would start with a cheap mechanical wristwatch, an old gen from the bay or a chinese from the gate.

You can get a watch for about $70 and save some $ for the  tools (at the least a screwdrivers set and a pair tweezers).

That way you will first learn how to disassemble :

- open the watch case

- remove the stem

- take the movement out of the case

- etc ...

Take some pics of every step while you disassemble and use them as a guide to put everything back again.

Then you can disassemble again and try to modify your watch ... rework the case (you can even color it "golden" in your kinchen's oven), modify the dial (with decals you can make your own unique dial (here's a tutorial https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/10860-custom-decal-dial-tutorial/), change the lume, etc ...

If you start with a chinese watch with a clone 6497 movement inside you can find a cheap replacement movement for less than $50 if "something goes wrong" and you will work on a stainless steel case, which is really easier than working on a plated nickel case. 

Plus the 6497 is "big and simple" movement so it's easy and almost riskless to play with.

You just need open aliexpress website on your browser, type "6429" in the search area and make your choice.

It starts with 6429 handsets for $7 shipped to complete watches for $150 ... but you can get a complete watch with stainless steel case and seetrhough caseback (so you can see your movement ticking) for less than $70 shipped.

Here is a link to the really affordable Parnis below  AliExpress 6429 PARNIS

6429.JPG.1918e23c8af193d3f5f4cf8e9239108a.JPG

Edited by manodeoro

58 minutes ago, RidanF said:

I was thinking on buying this kit it has a couple of bundles with it that i would purchase

50€ for a watch is expensive for me

id rather buy all the parts that fit and then start to assemble it

AA7476B7-7C54-4ED3-9B4A-5FCA6C1C0DED.png

I bought that sort of kit when I started working on watches ... almost everything was crap and went to the bin.

Just buy 4 good screwdrivers and 1 or 2 pair of tweezers, plus a good movement holder and that's it.

A little more expensive for less tools but tools you will use.

If $50 for a watch is too much for you you'd better search on ebay for an old used watch, not working, and try to make it work.

Edited by manodeoro