And it’s happened, I’ve snapped the pivot on the escape wheel. This pocket watch has caused me so many problems, cost a pretty penny in spares and a lot of my time. The owner popped in to see me yesterday to see how it was going. And today after I told him I’m just about done whilst re trying the escape wheel I snapped a pivot.

so I’m onto cousins to get some 0.02mm pivot wire and eBay for some micro drill bits (or maybe cousins ) and it’s time to set up the lathe and attempt to drill and fit a new pivot.

cannot wait to give this watch back it’s been nothing but trouble. Oh well some things are sent to test us, and out of my collection of about 100 cylinder escape wheels not one is the same as this one!!!!

Cheers old hippy, I’ve started scouring the bay again for those little boxes full of escape wheels in the hope that another seller has a job lot for sale. It’s a 3/4 plate movement approx 45mm in size, there’s loads out there, I know I’ve bought about 6 trying to use them for spares and not one is the same when it arrives!! It’s a mine field out there!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I cheated abit, I managed to find a pinion in another escape wheel that was the same size, so out came the staking set and I tapped it out and fitted it into the old wheel, will put it all together tomorrow and hopefully get the watch back to the owner. I can then concentrate on my projects for a change!!!