Rolex 3135 service results after all those years ...

Perhaps the "older" WRT-members remember that I, as a watch-novice (which I still am) back in begin 2016 serviced my own Rolex Submariner (3135). After putting myself through a rigorous training on two  ETA 2540 / 2541, 17mm ladies watches, the Rolex 3135 was next. That caused, rightly, some stir on the forum.

Before the service I build Stefans Watch-O-Scope to test the end results and to do some adjustments if required.

With the excellent video of Mark, servicing a 3135, I performed the service. There were some heart-stopping moments, especially when at the end, while adjusting the daily-rate with a Microstella tool, my right-hand holding the balance-wheel with tweezers started doing his own thing and I bend the hairspring at the stud. Luckily that I could fix.........

After the service the Watch-O-Scope signal looked horrible. The beat-error was in different position all over the place. We had endless discussions on the forum about what to do and what was next. Despite the poor W.O.S results, the Rolex ran constantly +2 or +3 seconds a day. Other attempts on the Watch-O-Scope proofed futile and for a long time I've been thinking about admitting defeat and to get the Rolex fixed by an official Rolex service point.

That was until today.

Even through I was quite happy with the W.O.S. results on all my other watches, I decided (after repairing a heirloom pocket-watch and the owner donated me some extra) to buy the Chinese Weishi 1000 timegrapher.

Knowing how the Rolex raw-data looked like on the W.O.S. screen, I didn't expect the Weishi 1000, which came today, to make much sense out of it either. The proof is in the pudding they say, so one of the first watches to test was my Rolex.

To my surprise the Weishi 1000 picked the 28800 bpm signal correctly and without any problems up. Even better, and to my big relieve !, the Rolex runs actually quite good. I hadn't worn the Rolex for a least two weeks, so it was cold and had to be hand wound. Lift angle set at 52 degrees.

Dial Up:     -7 s/d, 294 degrees, 0.1 ms
Dial down: -7 s/d, 292 degrees, 0.0 ms
Crown down: -3 s/d, 272 degrees, 0.0 ms
Crown up: -2 s/d, 278 degrees, 0.2 ms.

I know that when worn, the Rolex runs +2 to +3 s/d constantly.

This get to show, as @JohnR725 keeps saying with timegrapher signals; Rubbish in = Rubbish out. To my big relieve it also shows that I didn't ruin my Rolex and that it actually runs very fine....... no need for a new balance staff or an official Rolex service, saving me at least a $1000 and giving me a peace of mind.

I've been very happy with the W.O.S and it still has its place. The Weishi 1000 however ....... It thoroughly impresses me !

I like to thank everybody for their input a few years back and just in case there were still some members out there wondering & worrying about my novice Rolex "endeavor", we can now put this aside and all sleep well :biggrin:

Cheers: Roland.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 1:53 PM, Endeavor said:

Even through I was quite happy with the W.O.S. results on all my other watches, I decided (after repairing a heirloom pocket-watch and the owner donated me some extra) to buy the Chinese Weishi 1000 timegrapher.

Knowing how the Rolex raw-data looked like on the W.O.S. screen, I didn't expect the Weishi 1000, which came today, to make much sense out of it either. The proof is in the pudding they say, so one of the first watches to test was my Rolex.

I'm also surprised that the two instruments show different things. Could you posts pics to compare? WOS author Stefan is a member here and probably is the first one interested in understanding the discrepancy. I would be happy if the Chinese could show the raw data, after Mark showed me how useful it is in detecting certain faults. 

Edited by jdm