Unitas 6310 variations ?

Hi all,

Just laid hands on what I guess is a pretty standard watch from the 60’s. Nothing fancy but what caught my eye was the brand name ”Hjalmars” that I have never seen before. And the dial is in very good shape.

As I have a son by the name Hjalmar (it’s Swedish btw) I thought it would be a cool birthday present.

The interior however turned out to be less satisfactory; pallet fork bent, balance pivot bent, timing adjustment arm not present, h/s mangled.

The movement is stamped UT 6310 and it’s inca supported.

Checking Ranfft I realize that this is one of those basic movements that lived in various shapes over several decades.

If anyone has experience from working on variations of these 63xx movements and what works across the variations, I gratefully appreciate any feedback.

I have attached a couple of photos. 2e8ad9c526735bca588c11747af2d857.jpg4ab10937b3a62e19b3246906caa8e618.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I worked a bit with the 6310/6310N but my main interest is the 1904's Wehrmachtswerk. 
The 60's models mostly has interchangeable parts but also sometimes popp up without incablock.
The bridges and jewels are different in the older ones.
Here is one variation of the model you cant find on RANFFT it's a 40's 15 Jewels 6310.

IMG_20190227_061141.jpg

IMG_20190227_055557.jpg

Hi and thanks for the feedback!

Rogart, if you should stumble on something in your drawers, please get in touch. Maybe we can work something out?

Generally I find these issues of finding parts that works across versions troubling. There are so many if’s and but’s and I don’t like the feeling when ordering a bunch of parts that sum up to several times more than what I paid for the watch in the first place and possibly finding out they won’t actually fit.

One of these things is the N extension that HSL mentions. I have seen the same thing from other manufacturers. First I thought this related to the intro of inca but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Ranfft is just hinting that this has to do with ”modified design to balance and staff” but nothing regarding consequences and compatibility across versions.

My best bet is probably to hunt for a replacement or donor movement. As long as I find a working one from the same basic family I hope it will fit the dial and case I have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey,

Dont pay for those parts they are too expensive, dont feeds the agiots.Maybe you could give your watch to an watchmaker, and he can make the part..and repair your watch. Maybe it worths the money.

I can make part except jewls and hairsprings..

Must be careful interchanging parts...

Ps: If you want a great vintage you need to spend some money on it before start,

collecting vintages is just for rich people.