Oris TT1 7750 Question

bjd1020

Ok so im gettimg to the end of my rope here. Several years back I posted a long sob story about moisture getting into my TT1 and ruining it, completely rusted out, about the crazy repair price to get it fixed, then years later getting berated by pompous watch repair guys busting my balls when I decided to get in to the biz and try and restire this thing. Im about 6 months in, this is my 10th assembly attempt with each one getting successfully better. Each time I learn some little trick or how something should actually go. This thimg is almost there. Anyhow. I felt good enough with this attempt after putting it on the machine to install the hands. When checking everything it appears the chrono function works however when I have the stem pulled to set the time I get a weird grinding feeling, the hands dont move and I do not get 2 positions like I feel like I should be getting on the stem. I get it to snap into one position when I pull on it and if I pull again it slips to another position but goes back when I let off, like being hacked. Anyhow it feel like it could be in the keyless work. I could just tear the thing back down and redo it but it would be nice to know what caused this just to understand the workings better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.1b44331975052bc17cdfc283cf2ba177.jpg6be1381fd425be9ca853b00a40f79ef0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wonder if the yoke got displaced somehow and that's the snap and recoil you're fighting when pulling on the stem. Would not leave like that. Good news is that your readings look excellent and to get to your setting parts you don't have to deassamble the back part.

Once dial and calendar off you should be able to visualize the grinding and recoil and how to adjust it.

Good luck.

I presume you have this tech sheet. 
ETA 7750 - Technical Communication.PDF
Indeed, as well as several others. I fell into two other movements along this journey, the venus 170 and elgin 462. Ive been hopping between them as I wait for parts etc. Anyway I have been collecting anything and making notes on stufff that I feel is rellavant. I used Marks video on repair of a rusty valjoux and a step by step a gent posted on another forum. 055539edd7768d1019fcbe230e0fa88a.jpg

I wonder if the yoke got displaced somehow and that's the snap and recoil you're fighting when pulling on the stem. Would not leave like that. Good news is that your readings look excellent and to get to your setting parts you don't have to deassamble the back part.
Once dial and calendar off you should be able to visualize the grinding and recoil and how to adjust it.
Good luck.

Roger that. I will have a look at those areas. Thanks for taking the time to provide input. Honestly im super pleased. I feel as though I have made good progress and clearly am over the hump in terms of getting this thing up and running. The guys in the beginning laughed and said it couldnt be done.

• Like 1

"The guys in the beginning laughed and said it couldnt be done."
Usually something like that is said because they can't do it and hate to admit that someone else can. Keep at it! You've already got it licked.

Thanks. I do beleive these guys were pros. I have my theories on why these dudes did that but Ill leave that for another topic. I wish I had taken a picture of the watch before I started.

In my experience, the "Pro" will only do what makes money, and repairing a heavily damaged item wont make any money.

Furthermore if spares are hard to come by, or there are other roadblocks on the way to fixing the thing, then they would say it is beyond (economical) repair.

My philosophy is different, so far as I am concerned, *anything* can be repaired if you are prepared to throw enough time and money at it.

I have fixed up a bunch of watches that were not worth repairing from a commercial standpoint, but which I found fun and interesting  to fix.

Cheap EB8800 pin lever based watches for example, are not worth the trouble of getting working, unless, like me, you are doing it for your own amusement. The spare parts cost more than I am spending on the whole watch, so I rob parts from donor movements, and clean and service stuff that any "pro" would consign to the bin. At the end of the day, I have the satisfaction of owning something interesting and possibly in some cases unique, or at least increasingly rare, as more and more of these old time pieces are consigned to landfill. 

Along the way, I am learning, and keeping the old grey cells active. It sure beats vegetating in front of the constant stream of drivel being churned out by the mainstream media. 

• Like 2

What a great philosophy!! At one point, I had myself convinced that perhaps I was too old to do any real watch repair. I've found that my hands are still steady enough to remove and install a balance cock or a set of watch hands. I'm constantly studying horology with a keen interest. I don't watch enough television to justify owning mine. It's paid for so it can stay as I do watch the occasional PBS program.

• Like 1

I tugged a bit harder on the stem last night and it popped out like it is suppose to. None the less its working perfectly. Although the hour hand had a peice if the luminescent paint pop out. Id say the movement is stiff all around. I will tear it down one more time. I am def confudnet I can service 7750. Its keeping absolute perfect time. Thank you all for the support. da68ef97f71b5ff73fb5534bb5e581cf.jpg

Great work! Keep at it. The hour hand does indeed resemble my gap-toothed date for my senior prom. [emoji3]
Relume of the hand is possible or you can replace it. Have you any idea which avenue you will pursue?
I dont know. I did come across a pretty good documentary though during my pursuit to decide called the radium girls. I have two other 7750s to build up. 1 will be adding in the day wheel. Because some of the hour markers need to be refreshed ill probably elect to repaint. If you have any suggestions on product let me know.

Radioluminescent materials such as Tritium are still available. That wouldn't be my choice. Photoluminescent material are absolutely safer and capable of producing a great result. LumiNova pigments were invented by the Japanese, even though they're licensed to the Swiss and are sold under the trade name, SuperLuminova. It would be a toss up between it and the Lumi-Brite from Seiko. Both are readily available, non-toxic and environmentally friendly.  I dismiss the ChromaLight from Rolex as it's just an overpriced version of the other two.

https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/seiko-lumibrite/

Radioluminescent materials such as Tritium are still available. That wouldn't be my choice. Photoluminescent material are absolutely safer and capable of producing a great result. LumiNova pigments were invented by the Japanese, even though they're licensed to the Swiss and are sold under the trade name, SuperLuminova. It would be a toss up between it and the Lumi-Brite from Seiko. Both are readily available, non-toxic and environmentally friendly.  I dismiss the ChromaLight from Rolex as it's just an overpriced version of the other two.
https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/seiko-lumibrite/
I was looking at this kit on Cas-Ker. They have been real supportive of my endevours. Ive had several watch suppliers turn their noses up to me once the find im not a "professional". One even asking me to provide a certificate......like I was buying uranium or something.

https://www.jewelerssupplies.com/luminous-paste-kit-cas-ker-green-420.307.html

Looks good to me. Obviously, you're wise enough to stay away from fleabay. The junk sold on there is of highly dubious quality at best, especially the Anchor brand. One of my favorite suppliers is Esslinger. They have a wide variety of watch tools and parts. I've dealt with them for years and never been asked for anything other than, method of payment. They have the luminova kits in 5 different colors but at the same price.

Looks good to me. Obviously, you're wise enough to stay away from fleabay. The junk sold on there is of highly dubious quality at best, especially the Anchor brand. One of my favorite suppliers is Esslinger. They have a wide variety of watch tools and parts. I've dealt with them for years and never been asked for anything other than, method of payment. They have the luminova kits in 5 different colors but at the same price.
Roger that, I have purchased a few things from them.