Greetings from the UK

JohnMark

Very pleased to join such a useful & polite resource. Having read lots of the posts it’s good to see such a respectful community. 

A little info about me. Based in the UK outside LONDON. I have been retired for 5 years after working in the oil, gas & power industry as a lawyer/engineer. Previous interests in amateur radio, electronics and woodturning have now been joined by watchrepair. Watch repair has the advantage of not standing all day but the eyesight and small items is a new challenge.

I am a novice at watch repairs. My interest was sparked by rescuing an inherited  vintage Longines 30L. I quickly realised that it was beyond my current capabilities and was lucky to find an experienced restorer who resurrected the watch doing a superb job. I wanted to find a find a suitable “fixer up” in antique shops so I could practice but found no suitable items. Major side turn meant I ended up with a vintage Swiss ladies pocket watch Lépine type Calibre. I am slowly realising that spare parts for such vintage movements especially cylinder escapement type is difficult. I am slowly building my tool kit without buying useless items. I now need to get a suitable book on pocket/wrist watch repairs any recommendations?

I have a small selection of hand tools with taps & dies. Recently bought an old Boley staking kit and refurbished the box and hardware. Now just need to swat up on how to use it properly and replace a few damaged stakes. 

Best regards

John

Hi John    and welcome to the forum,  are many books on the subject Donald De Carles book practical watch repairing covers most things,  The best thing is to look on the net / ebay there are plenty to choose from.  Also on this forum there are videos by Mark Lovick a professional and forum contributor , Having watched a number of them brilliant and presented in an easy to understand format as they say the world is your rolex(oyster)