Swatch Irony

I got this swatch irony watch ...the watch runs  fine until yesterday I was turning to the correct time and low and behold the hour hand stop turning.  This watch donot suppose to be fixed...After looking at several videos on you tube..... I was able to remove the bezel, winder , and crystal........ where the calendar works  swatch put some type of glue on the screws to keep from removing the plate......... in one of videos this guy used a heat gun........I guess the only solution is to throw away the movement............ I can't seem to locate : movement model number:   G15 xxx, three hands, date at the 4:00 position............(help)!

Hi  unfortunatly SWATCH  seemed to be a closed shop regarding spares see cousins  letter to EU regarding their attitude to supplying spares.  There are a few enterprising guys around who still manage to get into these things and fix them. The only recourse is to search the net for advise. Some Swatch watches have a monobloc case and split stem so be careful opening them up. It would be useful if you could post photo's of the movement and the calibre  of the movement for identification. 

I got the bezel off......which was a big problem, I used a a caseback opener under the bezel lip and hit it the back of the case back with a hammer........It finally came off............ there is cement  or a glue substance on the three screws on the cover plate......this has to be removed with heat and scratching the substance......their are no screws attaching the cover plate......it just pops off.... the glue has to be removed first......I can’t remove the canon pinion, and the minute wheel........this is the problem?

these parts are encased in plastic

I refuse to pay 49$ for the movement

ETA G10.211

This sort of corporate strategy seems to indicate that the "irony" of the brand is that consumers are fooled into purchasing a non-repairable watch. Glue placed on screws in order to render their removal difficult or downright impossible is not a safety feature! 

Right on Texas Don,  It is a great pity that they choose this stratergy as the watches them selves are quite good so why the protectionism and bad attitude. Cousins uk are taking them to task over it. Although it sounds by Honeybee's post they have slipped into plastic mode like the cheap Japanese 2110 types, bin fodder.

I got the bezel off......which was a big problem, I used a a caseback opener under the bezel lip and hit it the back of the case back with a hammer........It finally came off............ there is cement  or a glue substance on the three screws on the cover plate......this has to be removed with heat and scratching the substance......their are no screws attaching the cover plate......it just pops off.... the glue has to be removed first......I can’t remove the canon pinion, and the minute wheel........this is the problem?

these parts are encased in plastic

I refuse to pay 49$ for the movement

ETA G10.211

Stop working on Watch ....... interesting video on how to disassemble an irony watch.........tore the watch apart to the keyless work lost the crown wheel abandoned the tear down.......

Sad to say, the ETA G10.211 quartz movement is also a throwaway item. The movement is plastic riveted together and parts are not sold for it. If I owned a Tissot PRC 200 quartz chronometer (list price $595 usd) I would be in an advanced state of pistivity when I discovered this movement residing inside it. 

Good for you Andy,

I feel that their protectionist attitude and the ensuing disposable nature of some of their products are reprehensible. What the world needs least at this time is more trash. Clearly, the Swatch group places profits above all else. I'm not much of an organizer but on a personal level, I won't purchase any of their products as one small voice of protest.

3 hours ago, TexasDon said:

Good for you Andy,

I feel that their protectionist attitude and the ensuing disposable nature of some of their products are reprehensible. What the world needs least at this time is more trash. Clearly, the Swatch group places profits above all else. I'm not much of an organizer but on a personal level, I won't purchase any of their products as one small voice of protest.

I suspect that unless people vote with their wallets, not much will change.

Here, for the record is the conversation so far. I'll let "...rapier..." and "...centre..." go unchallenged, as presumably English may not be the first language of the person responding, and besides I'm not exactly renowned for my own spelling prowess at times.

Lets see what the "Service Center department" has to say on the matter.

You never know, they may have a 100% recycling regime. 

This is a Swiss company after all, and from my visits to Switzerland over the years, I get the impression that recycling is a minor national obsession, however repairability comes higher up the list of green credentials than recycling every time.  Besides, I doubt if their faulty products ever make it back to Switzerland.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for getting in touch with SWATCH UK.

In order to get a more detailed answer to your questions we have now forwarded your email to our service centre department. They are responsible for the rapier and recycle of our watches.

We will get back to you as soon as they reply,

Kind Regards,

Caterina Balzano
E-Commerce Customer Care Advisor SWATCH & FLIK FLAK

The Swatch Group (UK) Limited
Building 1000
The Royals Business Park
Dockside Road
London E16 2QU
United Kingdom

Direct Line: +44 (0)207 053 2514

www.swatch.com
www.flikflak.com

—

The Swatch Group (UK) Limited is a private limited company registered in England and Wales. Registration No.: 177501. Registered address: Building 1000, The Royals Business Park, Dockside Road, London E16 2QU. 

We have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail is free of viruses or other harmful code. However, we cannot accept liability for any loss or damage incurred or sustained as a result of viruses or other harmful code. The Swatch Group (UK) Limited reserve the right to monitor email traffic data. 

This e-mail message is intended only for the addresse(s) and contains information which may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please do not read, save, forward, disclose or copy the contents of this e-mail. If this e-mail has been sent to you in error, please delete this e-mail and any copies or links to this e-mail completely and immediately from your system. We also like to inform you that communication via e-mail over the Internet is insecure because third parties may have the possibility to access and manipulate e-mails. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of The Swatch Group (UK) Ltd.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 01 March 2019 16:11
To: UK Swatch Online Store <[email protected]>
Subject: Reasons to buy a Swatch.

Hi,

I presently own a couple of Swatches, and am planning on perhaps upgrading to something fresh and new.

I appreciate that the Swatch brand tends to think of itself as fashionable and exciting, but may be lagging behind the times somewhat in terms of repair and recycle-ability.

I was wondering what the Swatch corporation's position was regarding protecting the environment, and their policy on waste and recycling.

If I have any issue with my purchase, once the warranty has expired, what are my options in terms of getting the watch serviced and repaired?

If the watch requires replacement, what happens to the defective unit? 
Is it completely recyclable?

It is my understanding that watches with hermetically sealed cases are not repairable. Which of your products are repairable?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards

Andrew Hull

This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information which may be confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient please do not read, save, forward, disclose or copy the contents
of this e-mail. If this e-mail has been sent to you in error, please delete this 
e-mail and any copies or links to this e-mail completely and immediately
from your system. We also like to inform you that communication via e-mail
over the Internet is insecure because third parties may have the possibility
to access and manipulate e-mails.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of
The Swatch Group Ltd.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:46 PM, honeybee50 said:

Stop working on Watch ....... interesting video on how to disassemble an irony watch.........tore the watch apart to the keyless work lost the crown wheel abandoned the tear down....... 

Was the crown wheel a separate part? On the Swatch I deconstructed, the crown and the stem are machined as one part.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the latest reply from Swatch

UK Service <[email protected]>

22 Mar 2019, 17:02 (4 days ago)

Good Afternoon Andrew,

Thank you for your communication regarding your Swatch watch. I apologise that you have not received a response sooner.

I can advise that as Swatch watches are manufactured as moulded sealed units, the cases of which cannot be opened, it is subsequently not possible to effect maintenance other than strap or battery change. Consequently your watch is not repairable.

Whilst I understand your disappointment, I must also advise that the costs would be prohibitive. If it were possible to effect a complete maintenance service, the part, labour and administration costs would in many cases be equivalent to the cost of replacing the watch in its entirety.

If the watch is still within its 2 year International Warranty period,  I would recommend that the watch and guarantee be forwarded to our Service Department for replacement consideration.  If you would kindly provide a convenient address, I can arrange for some fully insured pre-paid packaging to be sent to you, you can then send us your watch at no cost to yourself.

We do have some models which are repairable which are in the 'SISTEM 51' and 'SISTEM 51 IRONY' collection.

In regards to your query about the Swatch corporation's position and protecting the environment, and their policy on waste and recycling, I can assure you that it is fully in line with the corporate culture and in all the activities, appropriate procedures to protect the environment in the best and most sustainable way. The progress achieved attests to this.

I trust this information may help to clarify matters. Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us on 0845 899 0086.

Kind Regards,
Katie

Katie Pharo
Customer Care Executive

The Swatch Group (UK) Limited
Charter Court
Third Avenue
Millbrook
Southampton SO15 OJA
Telephone: 0845 899 0086
Direct: 023 80 646825
[email protected]
www.swatchgroup.com

I'm particularly impressed with the management speak that is...

In regards to your query about the Swatch corporation's position and protecting the environment, and their policy on waste and recycling, I can assure you that it is fully in line with the corporate culture and in all the activities, appropriate procedures to protect the environment in the best and most sustainable way. The progress achieved attests to this.

What on earth does any of that actually mean?

What I take from that is, some Sistem 51 watches are theoretically repairable, the rest is landfill.

Edited by AndyHull

I replied. :geek:

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your reply. can you elaborate on your statement...

On 22/03/2019 17:02, UK Service wrote:

What actually happens to watches that are beyond repair?

How is the material in them recovered and recycled?

What is "the corporate culture"? 

What is done to "protect the environment in the best and most sustainable way"?

What measures of "progress achieved" can you provide?

Kind regards

Andrew

I can bullshit with the best of them, so lets see if they rise to the bait.

I have this hope/fantasy where the Greenies get behind this sort of problem....from watches to refrigerators, uniting consumers to insist that 1) products meet certain life span expectations, 2) products are made to be repairable and manuals and parts are available as a consumer right and 3) planned obsolescence either through reissueing with no benefit (Widget model A1 is discontinued, but A2 is just as good but isn't an exact replacement for A1) or intentionally designing things to shorten the product life is viewed kind of like bribing a government official....big trouble if you get caught.

It would be good for the environment and boy, would the Environmentalist stock every go up :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the most recent reply.

We have just been in contact with our Swiss warehouse who was able to provide a more detailed answer to your questions. 

They were able to advise that Swatch watches meet very strict criteria in terms of reliability and quality so that our customers are satisfied not only in their daily use of our products, but also in the long run. Our watches are designed to be durable products and we think that wearing a watch for over 10 years is an excellent example. Smartphones or any other electronic/digital devices are not even close to this level of durability.

The core idea and the reason why and how Swatch was created will give you a better understanding of our efforts towards sustainability. Compared to conventional watches, Swatch was launched with a reduced number of components, i.e. while conventional watches were compiled of 91 or more components at the time, Swatch limited the number to 51 components per watch. In 1983 this was considered an environmentally beneficial approach in terms of industrial implications. 

As far as the lifetime of a Swatch watch is concerned, we established a generous lifetime battery replacement service for our products, which is now a permanent offer for all Swatch watches. In other words, we guarantee you long-term enjoyment of your Swatch. Furthermore, we produce our own batteries within our company Renata. Thanks to our profound knowledge of production processes, Renata enjoys an outstanding reputation as a very flexible and reliable battery supplier. Since end 2010, Renata covers the complete spectrum of Silver Oxide 0% Mercury batteries.

Returning back to Swatch, please be aware that generally our watches are repairable. However, due to complexity, cost, and sustainability reasons, replacing a defective watch is – in some cases – more reasonable than repairing it. This may sound odd, but although we recycle as many parts of previous products as possible, repairing products has sometimes a greater environmental impact than producing new ones. The actions taken in our production sites in terms of energy saving, water management, CO2 reduction, and waste management reflect Swatch’s commitment to respecting the environment.

Please note that Swatch quartz watches are rarely (never) thrown away – they are collectors’ items.

So if this is taken at face value, "that generally our watches are repairable" does seem a pretty bold statement.

Edited by AndyHull

Andy, that's little more than freshly laundered BS. Corporate double-speak. Notice how in the first couple of sentences they "validate" their approach as more environmentally sound by dumping on cell phones and other consumer electronic items. Cell phones were never designed to last a generation as watches were. In other words, an apples to oranges comparison. 

The real reason the parts count was reduced had nothing whatsoever to do with environmental concerns. Instead a smaller parts count lowered the manufacturing cost and still allowed to product to be sold as a "Swiss Made" watch which has some value in the open marketplace. I find it laughable that any corporate twit would be stupid enough to believe that anyone would swallow the logic that making a throw away item is better for the environment in the long run. As I've already stated; freshly laundered BS.

Edited by TexasDon
clarity