Seiko kinetic charger

As we're all too well aware, Seiko has long since discontinued their kinetic charger model, Y202-a. Even when it was still being produced, I doubt anyone on this forum paying the list price of $399 USD. None are available for sale used, at least none that I can find. 

However, there is hope. Actually, there is a viable solution. Dakota Watch Co. sells a line of rechargeable battery powered watches called their REQ line. I've never owned a Dakota watch and in fact, prior to seeking a charging solution for my Seiko kinetic watches, I had never even heard of them. They don't use an oscillating counterweight as Seiko does but instead, they furnish a simple, powerful charging stand so that you can recharge the watch's battery without the need to remove it from the case. 

www.dakotawatch.com/index.php/req-charging-stand.html

For some reason, my links never show up in my posts as a hyperlink so you'll need to copy and paste the address into your web browser. I took delivery on a charging stand yesterday. From time of order until delivery was 6 days. Delivery is free with a $50 order here in the US. I have no idea about compatibility with other electrical grids. You would have to query Dakota. They may produce one for use in Europe especially if their watches are sold there.  My unit operates on 120V, 60 Hz.

All I was required to do was plug it in and set my watch atop it. That's it. Slightly over 1/2 hour later when I checked it, the watch was warm to the touch (that's good news). At no time did the watch get hot or even uncomfortably warm. My 5M85 caliber kinetic is now fully charged, after about 2.5 hours on the charger, for the next six months or perhaps a bit longer. The product works. It's safe to use and the cost, while not cheap, is acceptable considering that it's about the only player in the game.

62247_a_1.jpg

Interesting. I don't have need of one currently, but it does give some clues as to what might be a useful search term on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Charger-for-REQ-rechargeable-watch-model-number-8L80-11/153384703836?hash=item23b670d75c:g:iycAAOSwKmhcacwp

That looks pretty similar.  I searched ebay.co.uk for "Berenger REW watch"  (link below).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Berenger+REQ+watch&_sacat=0

• 2 years later...

Has anyone tried a wireless phone charger to charge their Seiko Kinetic watch?

I sent mine into Seiko this year and believe I have the upgraded Li-Ion Caoacitor/ Battery.

I'm thinking it should work, but I don't want to damage the watch. Comments?

Scott W.

5 hours ago, ScottW said:

I don't think that will work. Wireless phone chargers use a sort of protocol to communicate with the device and start charging in an "intelligent" manner. Unlike the Seiko charger. 

Anyway, a good place for these discussions in where Kinetic enthousiast gather, e.g. WUS or SCWF forums. 

On 5/31/2021 at 2:51 PM, ScottW said:

I sent mine into Seiko this year and believe I have the upgraded Li-Ion Caoacitor/ Battery.

I'm thinking it should work, but I don't want to damage the watch. Comments?

if you look at YouTube their people using electric toothbrushes to charge their kinetic. Zero idea how well that really works.

I'm a retired civil servant who happens to like Seiko kinetic watches.  I have worn a Seiko for 40 years at this point but made the "mistake" of buying a second kinetic a couple years ago.  It became my watch for special occasions but, due to lack of use, it doesn't run now.  I just found out I was trying to "wind" it incorrectly but would like to find a watch winder.  I have looked and looked but the honest sellers indicate theirs won't work on a kinetic and those in it for a buck are happy to sell you a winder they know won't work.  Are there any winders out there that work on a kinetic?  Can anyone refer me to such?  Thanks!  (I really like this watch!!)  

15 hours ago, Inquiry said:

Are there any winders out there that work on a kinetic?  

I don't think there are, otherwise you would have found them with your searches.
And the reason in my opinion is that winder for a Kinetic would have to spin way too fast, or stop and start every second. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Inquiry said:

Are there any winders out there that work on a kinetic? 

basic winders for mechanical watches are really pretty simple. All they have to do is rotate the watch at almost any speed. Then ideally they should rotate one direction than turn the other direction just in case your watch only winds in one direction. Then a nice feature would be if they would turn off occasionally because mechanical watches do not really want to be wound continuously forever.

the problem is kinetic watches require very specific motion to get the rotor to spin fast enough to generate a voltage to charge. This is why I doubt you can actually purchase a kinetic winder. Also if you start googling a looking into the subject no notice that most of the articles are from several years ago which is why it's hard to find anything today.

I did find an interesting link that talks about the watch and the problem with the capacitor which of course is now been replaced by a lithium battery which has its own problems. Like the number time to shake your arm for capacitor versus the lithium is considerably more I believe 800 for capacitor and a mere 24,000 for the lithium. Plus lithium batteries self discharge with time and the need to be charged up other wise they go bad.

if you do a search on YouTube there is all sorts of helpful and unhelpful suggestions for the problem. The second link looks like it probably would work as the person understands the type of motion required. Like for instance I saw someone who made a unit were it spun continuously and I'm reasonably sure that is not going to work at all. so basic caution is needed when looking at you tube winding solutions because I think a lot of people are really clueless and are offering no proof that it actually works at all. But the one below looks like it might work may be perhaps.

for those that are curious the official electronic charging unit from Seiko is found in the picture.

https://www.quartzimodo.com/the-seiko-kinetic-boon-or-bane/

https://youtu.be/uH7_IKiUm98

Seiko kinetic charger.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jdm said:

I don't think there are, otherwise you would have found them with your searches.
And the reason in my opinion is that winder for a Kinetic would have to spin way too fast, or stop and start every second. 

Okay; thanks.

39 minutes ago, Inquiry said:

winders costing $300 - 400!  

These IMHO are sweet fraud for the fixated owners. Sophisticated looks and lights with no more than €25 worth of hardware and wood accents (if any) from China. 

• Like 1

the Seiko kinetic Winder has electronics is overpriced at hundreds of dollars but I feel at least you getting something for money.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Sophisticated looks and lights with no more than €25 worth of hardware and wood accents (if any) from China. 

having once repaired a friends automatic watch Winder I would have to agree that they basically cost nothing. there Is a little tiny circuit board to control the clock motor which rotates it just a bunch of plastic gears and a motor. so yes you're paying for a pretty box with practically nothing of electronics. The markup on these is fantastic. On the other hand because are so darned expensive they're going to sit from the show room for ever because no one's going to pay that typically.