Cutting and smoothing broaches, sizes?

Davey57

I have been looking into investing in some tools to learn how to re-bush worn pivot holes. Old Hippy has been kind enough to suggest a few things I will need and linked me to Cousins selection of broaches. What sizes would get me started?  They do have comprehensive sets with many sizes but I am wondering whether I will ever need that many different sizes. Or can you never have too many?  As an indication of size, at  the moment I am looking for a simple mantle clock to practice and learn on.

Many thanks all.

I bought cousins part numbers B36683 and
B36687 some time ago when they were offer. In my limited experience with mantle clocks, they've been fine for the KWM bushes that I've been using without denting the bank balance too much.

NAD

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

It depends on what you are working on.

As a starter get yourself 0.5 to 6mm range, but you will eventually need larger sizes, especially if when you need to rebush a mainspring barrel.

Look at the size of the pivots on the clock you want to work on, and that the bush will be larger than the pivots.

6mm will cover most things except the bushes on the mainspring barrel

Get the German ones, or if you are feeling flush with cash the Bergeon ones.

Edited by Tmuir
updated information

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, JimmyD said:

I was going to advise Davey57 to go to YouTube to see how the do a bush, well this link is to the 1st video that came up on my search. For me this is NOT how to bush a clock plate.

it is amazing;  on some of  these how to vidios, on very meny subjects,  are just crap.

I can find faults with all of them. Never use a re-bushing tool. The chap re-busing a carriage clock. If you use the reamer correctly it will self-centre in the hole, all this hold it like this and push it the other side is rubbish. If you use very large reamers as he showed you, a little lube such as oil and you will always have a perfectly round hole. Never bush from the outside, always from inside the plate. When you need to tap the bush in place put it on a block and with the correct size flat punch tap it in, the way he showed, you could miss and hit the plate causing a mark and as it’s a carriage clock and the movement is visible it will always be seen. The customer will not be happy, you have de-valued the clock. I never liked pre made bushings. I preferred to make my own by measuring the plate, pivot and oil well, making it, I knew it would fit properly and would not be seen. A movement that is visible and re-bushed correctly, you should never be able to see the work.

• Like 2