Keeping up with the kids. Got a step counting watch

Tmuir

Having a watch that can count your steps seems to be all the rage these days, so not wanting to seem to be out of touch with the latest fad I just purchased myself a step counting watch.

Pictures from ebay as item not received yet.

Am I missing the point a bit?  :D

pedometer1.JPG.700c99b6aa2bff4c51db1a94c81269a7.JPGpedometer2.JPG.c867a342d05d927ab5c30d81bc5824c4.JPG

Will certainly be something different to service.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yankeedog said:

I like it..but it only goes to 110 steps! Good thing! You won't have to go very far!

LOL,

Its actually in miles not steps, so it goes to 110 miles. I don't think I'm likely to ever need to count my steps that high.

Made circa 1910 by the company Henri Chatelain (French company)

Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that your step counter registers in miles? It was produced by a French company in 1910. France adopted the metric system in 1799 but due to resistance in some areas, made it compulsory in 1840, well before your counter was made. Was this item produced for US sales? 

I'm not sure about produced for the US, since @TMuir is in Western Australia, but certainly it was probably produced for export. 

In 1910 Britain was at the height of its colonial power, so it was most likely produced for the British market, then re-exported to the four corners of the globe from there.

@TexasDon, although we may have started to adopt metric in 1965 we have been very stick in the mud about it. Our currency didn't decimalise until 1971, retail weights and measures hung on into the late '70's, and we still buy our beer in pints and our road signs..... you guessed it, they're still (thankfully) in miles. Interestingly, Australia was still miles up until 1974.

I reckon @AndyHull is on the money, made in France for the British market which at the time spread far and wide.

We are truly the backward ones here in the US. Our currency has always been decimal. We stubbornly resist any attempts to move to metrics. Our automobiles insure that every mechanic has to have tools in both systems. My Toyota Camry (Japanese) was actually built in Kentucky (US) and has both metric and imperial fasteners throughout. Oy!

18 hours ago, TexasDon said:

We are truly the backward ones here in the US. Our currency has always been decimal. We stubbornly resist any attempts to move to metrics. Our automobiles insure that every mechanic has to have tools in both systems. My Toyota Camry (Japanese) was actually built in Kentucky (US) and has both metric and imperial fasteners throughout. Oy!

Imperial? I don't remember it that way. I do believe that the fasteners in your Toyota are manufactured in accordance with S.A.E. ( society of automotive engineers) standards. Imperial weights and measures were standardized after we parted ways with the British.US weights and measures are actually based on an older system that was in use in Britain in the 18th century, it's the reason why the US gallon is 128 ounces and the imperial gallon  160 ounces.I don't know if backwards is the right word however. Archaic would be more correct.

23 hours ago, TexasDon said:

Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that your step counter registers in miles? It was produced by a French company in 1910. France adopted the metric system in 1799 but due to resistance in some areas, made it compulsory in 1840, well before your counter was made. Was this item produced for US sales? 

Yes I would prefer it to be in kilometers, but this one is coming to me from the UK, so it was made in France for export to the UK, hence why in miles.

You can find them in kilometers in France, but this one only cost my £14 plus postage, I've not found one in kilometers for for under £100 yet, but I'm sure I will one day. They usually sell for a lot more than £14 and when I saw this one that cheap I decided it was time for me to own one.