Harmines

Omega 1342 service/repair

Question

Good evening everyone. I am new to this forum and i can see we have some outstanding experts on the site.

brand new to watch repair and looking to get some advice. I purchased an Omega seamaster quarts 1342 watch (not currently working and not tested) as it was a bargain and understand that 329 is the equivalent of the original mercury battery used when the watch was manufactured?

I am hoping the battery change will mean it is functional but in the event it does not work, how easy/costly is it to repair. (I’ve heard parts can turn this bargain into a money pit)

would anyone in this community willing to have a go at fixing it after i try battery change?

paid service of course.

any help advice would be much appreciated

thank you 

8 answers to this question

Hello, Harmines,

In the past, I have purchased several of the Omega 1342/3/5's and, from bitter experience, I can tell you that a major problem that occurs, is that the 'stepper motor' develops a fault. Commonly, open circuit. Broken bearing. Or, and I never did get to the bottom of this one................an ocillating (Back and forth) rotor.

In any event, the motor would need to be replaced and they are not available.

After waiting for nearly two years, I recently managed to get one from what was left of an Omega 1343.

I have found that the circuit board is very reliable and the biggest problem associated there, is when the battery terminal has been broken off and someone tries to resolder it back in place. During which process, the chip (IC) gets destroyed due to excessive heat.

In passing, I would mention that the 329 battery also requires an adapter ring fitted to it, in order to take up the extra space that the origional 338 would need.

These, too, can be a little difficult to find and, for what they are, are over priced!

Anyway, who knows, a battery change (You can test it without the adapter ring) may get your 1342 back into action. I certainly hope so........fingers crossed...............and good luck.

Len.

Hi Len

thank you for the detailed reply. I tried a 329 today and unfortunately did not work. As you explained before it looks like the rotor is ocillating back and forth (the second hand moves forward and backwards). 

Its heartbreaking to see as i was hoping to fix it and give back to my grandfather.

is there anyway i can source the part or an alternative movement (does not have to be Omega) that will fit the dial and casing?Although not ideal as takes away from the integrity and beauty of the watch but would love to able to get it working one way or the other so my grandfather can wear it on the wrist again.

any help would be much appreciated 

regards

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh dear, such a shame. I was hoping that the new battery would have got your 1342 working. 

As for getting another stepper motor, the only thing I can say is to watch what is on offer on the web. If you are lucky enough, the seller would want a fortune for it.

You have to be very careful, because some sellers know that their stepper has gone and they word their ad' very carefully so as to  make it sound like you will be getting something for nothing................you won't!

There is  tissot watch that uses the same movement, but owners of that will be well aware of the spares situation and take financial advantage of it.

Put your 1342 in a plastic bag, wrap it up and wait (Patiently) to see what you can find.

By the way, the date on the watch should not be half way through changing at the time shown.

The hands are not aligned properly, because the hour hand would not be where it is at  12 minutes past the hour. 

If I could help you, I really would.

(I have been caught out in the past)

Len.

Hi Harmines  A sorry story and a pity it looks a cool classic. If you fancy trying to replace the movement there are several pit falls like the dial feet positions etc  but 'am sure there must be a movement ot there that will fit but will require modification. As Len remarked at this point best put into storage pending further research.   all the best

Hi Harmines    apparently  the fault you describe is due to the stepper motor being faulty the parts are hard to come by (1342-9400).completer movements seem expensive if you can get them but note that the Tissot  2044 movement is the same but again finding the parts or a donor may be a trial. I have enclosed some PDF's relating to the 1342 for your interest.

1342_complet_4216.pdf 1342_complet_2302.pdf Omega 1342 test.PDF

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By VWatchie
      ETA Calibre 2772 Service Walkthrough Pictures – Disassembly
      (Please sort the pictures by name in ascending order)
      ETA Calibre 2772 Service Walkthrough Pictures – Assembly
      (Please sort the pictures by name in ascending order)
      For the disassembly sequence to make sense it is important that the pictures are sorted by name in ascending order. Generally, the sequence of pictures first shows the part to be removed in its position on the movement and the following picture shows the removed part along with any screws that held it in place.
      For the assembly sequence to make sense it is important that the pictures are sorted by name in ascending order. Generally, the sequence of pictures first shows the part to be assembled along with any screws holding it in place. If needed, the following picture shows the section of the movement where that part is to be assembled along with my lubrication suggestion, and the picture after that shows the part when assembled to the movement.
      Note that this is not a maintenance servicing tutorial. To be able to service a watch movement some basic tools are required as well as some basic skills. It’s not difficult but it requires a bit of practice and perseverance. I’ve used a lot of sources on the internet to learn about servicing and repairing but watchrepairlessons have so far not only been the best source but also the most affordable source I’ve come across. I am a patron of watchrepairlessons but I’m in no way affiliated with it.
      Prior to servicing this calibre 2772, I’ve serviced an ETA calibre 2472 and two ETA calibre 2824-2s and the kinship between these movement is obvious. The 2472 is from the mid-60s, the 2772 is from the mid-70s, and the 2824-2 is from the early 80s. They all have the same type of distinguishing train. The keyless works of the 2472 and the 2772 is of the more traditional type whereas the keyless works of the 2824-2 quite a bit more sophisticated. However, the calendar works of the older 2472 is by far the more complex with its instant flip over of the date. It has been very interesting to study the similarities and differences between these three related automatic ETA movements.

• By daveincarthage
      Got a ladies Omega De Ville in an auction lot today. My limit for repairs to this point has been installing batteries. The watch runs but runs several hours fast. 
      I know there are a few reasons it could be running fast. I don't have a degausser but suspect it could be magnetized. 
      What are some other things I should consider or questions I should ask if I take it in for repair?
      Also, do you know if there was originally a plastic retaining ring to secure the movement in the case? There was none when I opened the back.

Thanks in advance!

• By jakobvinkas
      Hello!
      Not sure if this is the right place for my question since I do not intend to do the repair myself. However I am wondering if anyone knows an approximate price of a tachymeter for the Omega 3520.50 day-date (tripple date).
      If anyone has any idea what a insert and the "repair" would cost at a watch shop, please let me know.
      Thanks in advance.
      Jakob

• By Cont3mplation
      Hi all. I'm absolutely brand new to the world of mechanical watches, but have always been fascinated by the way they functioned. So, I took my first step into them, getting myself a cheap, crappy ebay mechanical watch with a chinese movement. I knew that by all accounts this would be a rubbish movement and mechanism, however I wanted something that I could take a look at without risking any sort of investment, gauge my interest in the hobby etc. However, after receiving it, one of my friends let me know that he had a near identical cheap watch that was broken, and offered me to have a look at it as practice. I agreed, and have spent the last few days doing research and taking it apart, before putting it back together again. I've managed to learn quite a lot from it, however I've found that when putting it back together again, the pole of the escape wheel that keeps it in place either end seems to be too short, as though something had broken off. This means the wheel is sat basically loose and wont reach the crystals at either side to keep it in place while it spins. I see no way to fix this, so i intended to get a new wheel to replace it with, however I can't find the name of this type of movement anywhere. It is the kind used in this: ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jechin-Skeleton-Hand-Wind-Leather-Mechanical/dp/B00VPRZC50/ref=asc_df_B00VPRZC50/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=290896788181&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13027367026987882679&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9047006&hvtargid=aud-545868369748:pla-468442151749&psc=1 ) . If I really wanted to I think I could just order one of the other watches that I've found that use this movement for £5-6, however I was hoping I might be able to keep to my strict student budget and get just the escape wheel somewhere. Does anyone know where I'd be able to find something like that?
      p.s. Apologies for the lack of knowledge on the subject, I know I'll come across a bit new to the whole thing, but trying to learn as I go
    • By Highballn2
      20190925_101850_1.mp4 My Oris dropped onto the street, no cosmetic issues, rotor spins hands move everything seems in order nothing's rattling inside, yet it's completely dead!?? That 7750 kept better time than my Muhle and Tudor, real workhorse, maybe something really obvious I'm overlooking?