clock stops if i put it back to the case

luiazazrambo

Hi *,

I am a new with clock repairing, however I have successfully stripped down a few cleaned them and oiled them. This is what happened to this one too, however it stops when I put it back to the case and tighten the screws, if i take it out it runs well and keeps the time. It took me a while to realize it wasting hours to investigate the parts etc etc believing that I did something wrong. It still can be the case. Now i think that there is a tension here which slows down the clock and stops it but I don't know what can I do to resolve it. Did I put it together incorrectly?

Best regards,

Lui

IMG_20190220_110006.jpg

IMG_20190220_110014.jpg

IMG_20190220_110027.jpg

This is a case of pretension brought about by screws to the watch frame. 

Think of Pretensions as forces tending to deform, exerted to a restraint structure.

It dosn,t mean you did anything wrong.

Release pretensions by loosening all screws, tighten one at time, at any point you see the effect appear loosen the screw back go to another screw repeat the same. This is more like a game of finding out which screws misbehave, the watch will run when the game eliminates the faulty ones,  next you may shim the faulty ones to behave. 

Good luck 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Follow what Nucejoe has said. This spring is doing nothing where it is. It should be at the other end of the arrow under neath

Yes, yes in order to remove the top screw I had to release that level what you use to stop the alarm and the stop button too. Actually the top screw goes trough the outer case and the inside frame. The inside frame was also bent, so it was actually enough to put the top screw in and tighten it to stop the clock. I straightened up the bent and now the top screw is not an issue anymore. Hopefully I can sort this out, thanks for both of your comments.

It's sorted now. The glass was not in place entirely as I noticed it after having a close look. If you compare the picture i post now to the previous one you can see that the edge of the glass sticks out this time, the glass is the highest point. Now the glass was not in place as the glass surrounding frame did not let it somehow after turning the frame 90  degree a couple of times and nudging the glass and the frame they settled. I guess this is the beginners mistake I did not regret to post this though as I like the comments and the willingness to help on this forum.

IMG_20190221_114724.jpg