manodeoro

CUSTOM DECAL DIAL TUTORIAL

On 2/5/2020 at 8:42 AM, AndyHull said:

You could of course create a hybrid of the two methods, with some objects created from scratch and some created from an image of the original dial.

From this....

37879914004_9113b0e080_k_d.jpg&f=1&nofb=

We get this.

Skyliner30.100Centre1.79Round_svg.thumb.png.9515f2adc9adfb4d869cf33d4baec408.png

Not perfect, but with a little more work, I think it could be reasonably presentable.

xruc69oSyT0kz33tA4Lgg0b70LIj11sS3u5kVQ4z

You then run into the question, at what point do you replace?
Is the second watch above still better in original condition?... Maybe, but what if it had lost all of the lettering?

Does it matter that the two dials and my version are all very slightly different?

In the top version for example, and my version,  the text stretches from the six O'clock to the four O'clock, but in the second watch, the text spans two of the radials, so presumably these are pad printed from different cliches, and therefore probably manufactured in different years, and/or are different models.

Skyliner30.100Centre1.79Round.svg 39.92 kB · 1 download

I don't think there is any harm is replicating an original dial as long as you hang on to the original. That way it stays with the watch and can be put back if someone in the future desired it.

24 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I don't think there is any harm is replicating an original dial as long as you hang on to the original. That way it stays with the watch and can be put back if someone in the future desired it.

I agree, so long as the original is preserved if avaialble, and there is no intention to deceive, then I see not problem with fitting a replacement dial. If a replacement is passed off as original however, then there is a problem. 

Continuing with the guilloché experiments, here is a coloured version, with 128 points and a little manipulation of the "handles" on the object, as well as the stroke and fill. Bear in mind, this is a single object, even though it appears to have multiple concentric parts. Play with the .SVG yourself to see what I mean.

396357391_GuillocheBlue30.100Centre1.79Round20Grey_svg.thumb.png.b4ecc1f3b412e4745751d5b7c5fd4598.png

GuillocheBlue30.100Centre1.79Round20%Grey.svg

Incidentally the "rosette" in the pocket watch styled dial I posted a couple of pages back uses the same method, but with a six sided shape. The three pointed object at the 12 O'Clock position on the orange dive watch dial also used this trick,  so as you can see that there are quite a number of possible ways to manipulate these objects, all of which produce significantly different patterns.

The way this works in Inkscape is similar to an engine turning machine with a single "rosette", or pattern wheel. 

Edited by AndyHull

I like that. Now if it was blue.... :P

I presume it fits something with the crown at 12 and the seconds at six, but rotated through 90 degrees clockwise.

Have you got something suitable in mind?

Edited by AndyHull

You can of course layer these designs too.

773754172_GuillocheBlue30.100Centre1.79Round20Grey_svg.thumb.png.df3f64685dcc659391f385f6a7fa083e.png

So starting with a 60 spoke design, we can add a 12 spoke one.

256302204_GuillocheBlue-2-30.100Centre1.79Round20Grey_svg.thumb.png.a9e4363ef232dde2e726c78aa1b2028e.png

We end up with a complex design with no numbers on, in a kind of Delftware blue style,  arranged such that you could actually tell the time to the second using the "points" of the two rosettes.

717594574_GuillocheBlue-2-30.100Centre1.79Round20Gold_svg.thumb.png.17a46ed78d4483bf2c59b2fd36a51449.png

Here is the same design in "gold" on a dark ground.

If you zoom on on the "crown" logo at the top, you will find it is actually made from gears, (using the path effects tool).

88x31.png

Attribution-ShareAlike
CC BY-SA

Edited by AndyHull
Additional image added.

Of course you don't have to stick to "sensible" colours either.

GuillocheDoubleSoftGears-30.100Centre1.79Round_svg.thumb.png.3c76b405aadd64bb247f44f902988101.png

Here is a nice trippy 1970s take on the colour scheme.

Import your design  to Gimp, which has more scope for colour manipulation and you can have loads of fun with it.

Bear in mind though that, that as I pointed out before Gimp works with raster images, not vector, so we loose resolution when we scale this.

I've included the tidied up "pre-trip" blue SVG for you to play with too.

Edited by AndyHull

10 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I like that. Now if it was blue.... :P

I presume it fits something with the crown at 12 and the seconds at six, but rotated through 90 degrees clockwise.

Have you got something suitable in mind?

Ask, and ye shall receive!

2020555315_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.f2eb0cebf7824325797467a00005113e.jpg

Image courtesy of Ebay.

It's for the ETA 6497 or the Seagull ST 3600 movements. Makes for a large wrist watch, but totally worth it, IMO!

Most of the patterns I have experimented with so far have been circular, but not all dials are round, so what can you do if you wand to fit a round peg into a square hole?

This is where "Path Effects", and in particular, "Lattice Deformations" come in to play.

The Lattice Deformation allows you to constrain a pattern within another shape.

There are other ways to do this, but this is probably the easiest.

If we take a 12 sided "curved polygon" similar to the ones in the previous examples, and add a couple of path effects to it, we can create some interesting designs.

537526190_LaticeDeformation2at2020-02-1507-42-10.thumb.png.e04a02c01e19f7c895da37e4528e1a73.png

The first effect adds the "knot" to our simple shape, and careful tweaking of the line properties (the fill and stoke widths, colours, textures and graidients) give a softness to the edges. 

Rectangular1_svg.thumb.png.7d50db250ed0eff174ec78a8da6bb33b.png

If we then add the "Lattice Deformation 2" path effect, we can constrain our design to more  rectangular shape. Note the use of the tick-boxes to keep the effect symmetrical about both the horizontal and vertical axis.

We simply pull the "handles" around till we get the effect that we want.

Rectangular1.svg

Edited by AndyHull

CheVer1.0-30.100Centre1.79RoundWhite_svg.thumb.png.464127623ea41239e8cd73101bebd6c9.pngMore fun with Soviet era kitch, and public domain .SVG images. 

CheVer1.0-30.100Centre1.79RoundWhite.svg

Before you ask, no, Luch, so far as I am aware, never produced a "Che" manual wind watch in his style, but Poljot produced something similar, and  POBEDA (ZIM/ZYM) seemed to have done a couple of different styled Che Guevara models.

As with the my other creations, you are free to use them as you please. I've stuck with a single colour this time, and the above .PNG is scaled to allow printing at around 30mm at 1440 dpi.but looks fine at 600 dpi.  so this should suit inkjet, laserjet or pad printing.

You may need to remove the Luch logo if you are planning on selling anything related to the two "Luch" style designs, unless of course they are being fitted to a genuine Luch watch, in which case, you would probably be fine, so long as the buyer knows it is not an original dial.  Changing the logo is as simple as opening the SVG, un-grouping everything and removing or replacing that one object. Changing the "Сделано в ссср" and "19 камней" is just as simple. If there are any Russian speakers, they may be able to correct any typos in these. Also "кварц" according to Google Translate should say quartz... maybe.

88x31.png

Attribution-ShareAlike
CC BY-SA

The Luch logo is public domain. However its use may be subject to copyright by the Luch watch company.

Click the link and make up your own mind.

Edited by AndyHull

Just when I thought these designs couldn't get any more kitch, I discovered this little Raketa 2609 HA based beauty.

McStalins.thumb.jpg.fbb8aeb26a5eb89147b0c5320f65fd3e.jpg

To further add to the craziness of the design, it appears to be a 24hr movement.

Edited by AndyHull