Ebay Long Case clock

JimmyD

This one should be up OH's street, the seller has 2 Long Case clocksand I have issues with both, have a look and see what you think.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANTIQUE-GEORGIAN-OAK-LONGCASE-GRANDFATHER-CLOCK-BY-RICHARD-BODY-of-BATH-C1770/233124124560?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANTIQUE-GEORGIAN-LONGCASE-GRANDFATHER-CLOCK-WILLIAM-STEVENS-CIRENCESTER-C1780/233109713135?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANTIQUE-GEORGIAN-OAK-LONGCASE-GRANDFATHER-CLOCK-BY-RICHARD-BODY-of-BATH-C1770/233124124560?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Go to the page you want to insert highlight the address and select copy and then come back to the dialogue box you are typing in and click paste, it should insert the link as above.

I just copy and paste the link from my browser.

I just had a quick look and the gong is the first give away. Longcase clocks that had gongs are very late in Longcase clock history.

The second one if that has been cleaned I would like to know in which decade.   

The 1st one, have a look at the photo with the top door open, the dial has gaps under the arch, and look at the distance of the wood surround, the sides are neat however the arch has been cut to suit the dial at some time and a very bad job it is, therefore I would say a marriage. OH, I agree that the gong is a later addition, also if it was cleaned they forgot to clean the rust off the click lever. Also they did not have a photo of the movement from the hammer side, I wonder why...

The 2nd one, look at the angle of the cog that releases the hammer leaver on the front plate , and as OH said it has not been cleaned for a long time.

On the first clock is it also possible that the strike silent feature has been added at a later date, the script on the strike silent chapter ring is at odds with a Georgian clock it looks very plain and modern for Georgian engraving there has been no attempt at producing a fancy script, it is certainly not finely produced, I assume the clock would have had a bell at the start of its life.

The first clock. 1770 is correct for the complete dial this includes the hands. The movement is also correct, but has been altered to accommodate striking on a gong. Longcase clocks with gong striking only appeared in the middle to late 1800’s.

The case is very good it is well proportioned and the style fits perfectly for around the 1770 period. Because of the lack of photos for the case, I’m not convinced about what has already been said. My personal feelings are that the cheeks have been cut or replaced at a lower size to the original; this will cause the gaps around the dial. The wooden arch has been repaired, you can see where it has been glued back, and this would have been repaired probably a hundred odd years ago and is perfectly acceptable.  It is well over priced.

Looking at the case from a cabinet makers view, The 1st photo shows the door with an addition to the bottom rail, this was done to get the dial set even around said door, the top inside of the arch of the door has been shaved away somewhat to accommodate the same. Photo 4, the frame around the dial has had the bottom cut so that it would not show when the door is closed (even after the addition to the bottom rail of the door) , then the top of the arch has had to be cut away as this would have been showing when the door was closed. There is no way the cabinet maker would not have had the frame width even all the way round and the door width even all the way round, for me this is a movement that did not start life with this case.

Sorry for taking a long time to answer you. I tried to message the seller; he has put in place a restriction. People cannot contact him. I wonder why:D.

I have copied two pictures and marked, are these what and where you are referring too.

Sorry If I gave you, the impression that I did not think it was a marriage, I was just pointing out what can happen to a case to give the appearance that the movement does not look as it fits the case. Even the change of a seat board if not the right thickness can add to this appearance, the same with the cheaks. I agree it is a marriage, but the case is of that period so is the dial and movement apart from the alteration of adding a different hammer and the gong. The gong is the big give away. There for this movement was altered around 1880 and upwards.

Door.jpg

Hood.jpg

Hi OH, Yes that is what I see as an addition to the door at the bottom rail along with the arch being shaved thinner on the inside at the top. The inner frame where you have the oval has had a little taken off the bottom, also the inside of the arch, it has been cut so that it is not seen when the door is closed.

I was going to email the seller myself, then after thinking about it and seeing the other stuff he is selling and all the rubbish he is saying about it I thought, what is the point, he has no integrity.