Ebay seller trying to sound like he knows about clocks

JimmyD

Have a look at this Portico on eBay,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unusual-Portico-Clock-/153200303410?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=lqgegTVV8zwAWHLgsxT9c6XOhhQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Well the link did not work (new at this) so item number is 153200303410

The movement is very unusual and I think maybe Dutch, silk suspension however not sure as there is no way of adjusting it as I think the pendulum is not original but I may be wrong. The movement is like a reverse French and the arbour holes, well one in the centre the other about halfway on the dial.

The description, the guy is trying to sound as if he knows about clocks, i.e. movement is not going, not had time and later said, rings on a bell.  

Anyway it may get some discussion going.

Ebay is full of people selling re-pro, stuff that does not appear to be what it is. Its like any auction in this case you have to know your clocks. There is a thread on here I think I started it about so called French carriage clocks and the Chinese fakes on ebay, I point out with the correct link at the time of auction. Longcase clocks that are a marriage, sometimes I run a little competition, to see if members can spot the mistakes.