2824 Incabloc issue/question(s)

cedelong

Hi all,

I am resurrecting an old Zodiac diver with a 2824-2 in it. When I began stripping her down, I found the balance arm was missing the inca system altogether- looks like someone tried to adjust it at some point, don't know if that had anything to do with it- and it wasn't floating around anywhere inside the case. I was able to find a replacement, but unsure how to proceed. Scoured the net for info, but tech sheet was all I could find. Oiling and chasing cap stones is the extent of my expertise...

I pulled another balance arm from a spare to check my overhaul, balance arbor intact, etc. and it works beautifully.

The spare inca came in today, but before I waste time and $, any suggestions?

1) will this even work: Is there anything in the hole that looks broken? What made it fall out in the first place? 

2) I assume it is friction-fit, but what is the correct orientation? The gold arm I used for reference, but the regulator on the white one is +++++. Needs to be centered back to neutral?

3) I assume removing the balance jewel before I put system back in the arm is a good idea? (Grin)

4) Do I need to disassemble the entire balance assembly, hairspring and all? 

5) ok, I'm clueless here. Hope the magnified pics are enough to illustrate my dilemma.

Much thanks in advance,

Chuck

2019-2-16 22-21-39.jpg

2019-2-16 22-21-15.jpg

2019-2-16 22-20-42.jpg

The jewel housing is friction fit. Stud career arm is  a spring and snaps right on the housing, regulator arm and the other fellow( micro regulator) fits on like the other ballance cock in the pic.

You are going to remove the end stone and  the jewel anyway.Next close the incab spring in the housing slot. Fit the housing on the cock, direction of spring don,t matter.

To fit the housing, insert in and place the cock and housing inside your tweezers to press home, housing should fit snug tight.place all arms on in the correct order( as on the other cock) place the stud career arm on the housing and in between your tweezers press to snap on, you hear the clock when snap.

If you can do this without removing the ballance and stud, you have saved yourself extra pain.

Removing the ballance brings you additional challanges, unneccessary pain.

Hairspring is generally intergrated with the ballanc on these modles, not removable.

Good luck

Its a pity the replacement is gold because you could have just do a straight swop. Providing you have a staking tool it looks like a straight forward job to me. The balance & H/S and the adjusting ring need to removed then its just about pushing the old one out & inserting the replacement.

I would proceed with caution.

It looks to me as though you're looking at a Novodiac system and not Incabloc, and that it is just the jewels and spring that are missing and not the whole setting. You may not be able to substitute the whole Novodiac setting for the Incabloc setting without some serious modification. Far simpler to buy the replacement Novodiac jewels and spring and install them with little more than tweezers, good magnification, a steady hand, a ton of patience and some good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remove the dial to see the shock system on the mainplate, you get a chance to remove and clean those jewels too.

I don,t think anyone would disagree with the point mark made. 

Will you show a close up of the HS&stud connection, seems like the HS is glued or pinned to the stud. Perhaps removing the HS from the stud provides for a better approach.

I appreciate the advice...but I'm unclear on a few points, or maybe I wasn't clear in my post?

This movement is a 25j ETA 2824-2, not the 17j 2824.

The entire shock absorber is missing, not just the jewel and spring.

The part I purchased thru Star Time is (product code) ETA 2824.3024 "jeweled shock absorber for balance - Top" (See pic. 1)

The gold balance arm (pic 1 in my OP), with the identical Inca "double cone" system, is from a spare 2824-2.

Based on the pic and "...for economical caliburs" description, it's not a Novodiac. (See pic 2) it's an Incabloc double-cone system, or appears identical to it. (See pic 3)

UNLESS...

You are referring to the hole in the white balance arm, and it looks like a Novodiac absorber was there originally- I never saw it, was long gone before I opened it.

Pic 4 is the hole in the balance arm, installed, when I realized the jewel housing/ shock absorber assembly was missing...before I stripped it down. Tried to get detail of the hole.

Hope this makes things clearer?

Thanks again,

Chuck

Screenshot_20190217-125901_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25fc8710d2b2ac3531176f5a1c36d44a.jpg

Screenshot_20190217-131151_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190217-130209_Samsung capture.jpg

2019-2-16 23-15-34.jpg

I appreciate the advice...but I'm unclear on a few points, or maybe I wasn't clear in my post?

The part I purchased thru Star Time is (product code) ETA 2824.3024 "jeweled shock absorber for balance - Top" (See pic. 1)

The gold balance arm (pic 1 in my OP), with the identical Inca "double cone" system, is from a spare 2824-2.

Based on the pic and "...for economical caliburs" description, it's not a Novodiac. (See pic 2) it's an Incabloc double-cone system, or appears identical to it. (See pic 3)

UNLESS...

You are referring to the hole in the white balance arm, and it looks like a Novodiac absorber was there originally- I never saw it, was long gone before I opened it.

Pic 4 is the hole in the balance arm, installed, when I realized the jewel housing/ shock absorber assembly was missing...before I stripped it down. Tried to get detail of the hole.

Hope this makes things clearer?

Thanks again,

Chuck

Screenshot_20190217-125901_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25fc8710d2b2ac3531176f5a1c36d44a.jpg

Edited by cedelong
It has a Novodiac on the bottom/main plate. Marc may be right.

I don,t see your point, how dose any of the facts you mentioned help us be sure both staff pivots turn inisde the same type and appropriate jewels , the two systems incab and Novodiac  may differ in number respects, different chatons, end stone.....etc. 

Staff and jewel assembly should be of the same system. Plus a housing may not fit the other cock. 

Your post shows the very evidence of two cocks/ ballance of same caliber with diferent absorber system. 

Best wishes

• 1 year later...

It looks like the Novodiac housing. Compare the website snapshot with your close-up. You are missing the chaton, the hole-jewel, the cap-jewel and the shock-spring, i.e. the four components on the right, but not the housing pictured in the centre. Yours looks like a variant of the one shown, so check dimensions before ordering.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:44 PM, cedelong said:

Looks like an older thread but just for future reference.........
Even the ETA 2824-2 came in a wide range of different varieties, some with the Incablock system and some with Novodiac. I have a quite funny version too with a regular regulator arm and Incablock.
What you got is as they say a Novodiac missing its jewels and spring, no doubt about it.
Just to show the differences one can look at these two 2824-2  both from ETA.

First the 2824-2 with incablock, notice the slot for the spring on the top.

Inca-Block.thumb.jpg.ba0588def6821f73db6ef029e7d11ca9.jpg

A newer version with Novodiac system, notice the triangular slots on the top for the spring,  just like the one discussed here.

Novodiac.thumb.jpg.841dfcca5b406a3dc9c2dd3518d551cf.jpg

• Like 1