Sign in to follow this  
seikoskx

Grease for Gaskets

Question

The bezel o-ring on my Seiko SKX I believe needs some lubrication considering that the action is starting to stiffen up and also upon further inspection, there doesn't seem to be much lubrication on it at all. I'm wondering what kind of greases you guys use? Is the cheap non-swiss stuff from CousinsUK ok to use or should I use something else? 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/gasket-grease-applicator-non-swiss

5 answers to this question

It's a silicone grease. Rather than invest in a sponge applicator with the grease included, I purchased a small tube of silicone grease from a plumbing supply store. I use a cotton tip swab to rub it all over the gasket. As rogart63 mentions, it will attract dirt so use it sparingly. The silicone helps to offset the effects of oxygen and ozone which tend to dry out the rubber seals making them brittle and prone to early failure. 

You only need a thin film applied. Just use whatever method you prefer. I sometimes use a clean pair of fingers and then wash them. Silicone grease is not watch-specific, so I just buy generic grease from eBay.