Restoring a Black Slate Clock

JimmyD

I bought this clock from Ebay for AU$200 as I liked the movement, however while looking through the internet I found this site that had a thread on these types of clocks. Having read through the posts I thought I may as well do the whole clock up as I have a differnt way of doing it than any I found here and on the internet, not to say they are wrong mine is just different and costs about nothing. First post so I might not get it right.

BM2.jpg.65b07c601a600a2dfeb06778fe03ff0c.jpgBM1.jpg.850a47ac78dd8b6c69665aa221084db5.jpg

This is the state the case came in.

BM3.jpg.10dd06a3da2567c82189d0b0cfa5c306.jpgBM4.jpg.9e680b5164abfa2dd54e1ef49a23bc6f.jpg

The clock case is covered in the scum I skim off my clock cleaning fluid and has sat in a bucket for ages, I thought of using this as it has the cleaning fluid and old hair, skin, dust, insects oil and whatever has been in the movements I have cleaned and I thought it would act like a politce. I leave left on for about a day.

BM5.jpg.7be95ec6b25477a8ef43ea4504b1cb95.jpg

BM6.jpg.40bd5ba20a333c7a56f0ee445eafc5fd.jpg

I clean off the gunk with paper towels that I dip in the clock cleaning fluid, it gets about 90% of the blonding/white off. The case is a bit dull however after  rubbing it all over with black shoe polish and leaving it for another day to let it sink in a bit. I rub it off, you may need about 3 rag's for this, the first takes off the excess shoe polish, however most of it has sunk into the case, the 2nd starts to shine it, however still gets some shoe polish on it, the 3rd is giving it the nice shine.  

BM7.jpg.39c5500d181c29244fb35eab8bc8cc95.jpg

BM8.jpg.ade6f9f7b62b8cbe27b8cd1958e247c6.jpg

BM9.jpg.413674e3117afa88429b3fc6c0ca7b59.jpg

Anything you see is just reflections there is still some deep whiting on it, however you have to catch it just right in the light to see it. I will update this post as I am cleaning the movement and will add a few photos of how I do this and then will put the whole thing together and take a few more

I spent the day cleaning the movement and puting it back together, can't rush as the pins are so fine and it has 3 plates. The escapment pinion is about the thinest I have ever come across (I don't do watches). Anyway have a look at the photos and ask any questions, I took more photos, however I think this is enough.BM10.jpg.e26ba8463098b81f15fa93a71bd5b217.jpg  

BM11.jpg.9e5edaa63dce27148ac8f14c804c5842.jpg

Not the clenest to start with.

BM12.jpg.330d04a9d5adec25e43cd5e755fc4709.jpg

BM13.jpg.3bc72cd781fa74049318185d251af76b.jpg

A few of the parts.

BM14.jpg.0ae57d51fe5c0790ddaa96cc8f54ed72.jpg

BM15.jpg.db0799692a4e4efdc85d96542be6801b.jpg

BM16.jpg.4601ec2ef320cf08579c522a2c1439e8.jpg

BM17.jpg.1044ec6b681449200b5c0d5be1ce3bbf.jpg

Looks a bit cleaner now, I must have filed and blued 20 odd screws.

BM18.jpg.aad0bd54be8ee485118e7ebdac8ffd1b.jpg

BM20.jpg.d15e5f632557a8b7f5ef01d96f9474be.jpg

BM19.jpg.1cd3803875b23145987615ae82f78f55.jpg

All done, ticking away nicely.

• Like 3

I can date the clock from the retailer on the dial. Walsh Bros. " Following an earlier short lived partnership with Edwin Jones in c.1854, H.S. Walsh entered into partnership with his sons, Frederick and Alfred, in 1855, the firm being styled 'Walsh & Sons'. H.S. Walsh retired c.1860 and the business was then renamed 'Walsh Bros.'. The Walsh brothers sold their business and retired in 1881." Therefore must be before 1881.

A very nice looking clock. Those movements are great to work on.

Your screw bluing is very good as you have them all the same colour. What method did you use?

Just a little tip. Both winding arbors would look nice if you had polished the ends. The regulator square should also be polished, the square cleaned up and the rod. Visible escapements have that little bit more to take care of and they add to the value. I really enjoyed looking at your work. Thank you for the photos.  

Now you have mentioned it the arbours are going to annoy me every time I look at the clock, so I will fix them up. I am not that good at bluing when it comes to doing hands, takes me a few goes at it most times, however the best way I find for me to do the screws is to hold the screw with an old pair of tweezers over a glass of water heat from the thread end  with a low flame and just as the head gets to the colour I want drop it into the water. I would be interested in how you do your clock hands, long case hands are hard to get an even bluing for me.  

I was going to do a post on a long case clock movement that someone charged $2000 to repair as the guys would be shocked at the state of the movement, I will not name them however.

• 1 year later...

You did a brilliant job on that clock Jimmy. I love these old french slate clocks with the black slate case. Ive currently got 5 of them in my collection and awaiting a parcel of another 5 to arrive anytime now. Ive been restoring mine in my own way as I couldnt find any decent information for the cases. Ive tried a few different products so far and found Marblack to be the best so far. Its almost like a runny shoe polish which is ideal for soaking into the grain of the slate.  Ive been posting some of my restorations on youtube if anyone is interested.