Watchmakers Lathe Motor Pulley Slipping

JBerry

Hey folks,

I recently purchased an 8mm Star watchmakers Lathe and a cheap chinese YDK Sewing Machine Motor to power it from eBay.

Regardless of the tension I put on the 4mm belt, the belt slips over the motor pulley and fails to turn the headstock.

Can anyone think of an easy fix to this problem? or a suitable pulley for this motor and a 4mm belt (the shaft onto which the pulley fits is 6.35mm in diameter)
If only I had a functional lathe to turn the pulley ;)

Thanks in advance!

Keeping the motor between my legs and using the foot switch to turn it on and off, I turned the V a bit deeper with a graver. Still not a great deal of purchase, very little torque and a lot of slipping...

Anyone know where to source a more appropriate pulley?

When I was an apprentice antique restorer way back in the 60's and machines being used were made in the 40's we used to use Pine resin for slipping belts. It was left to dry and then crushed to a rough powder, worked a treat on leather belts, not sure how it would go on today's synthetic belts though.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBerry said:

Anyone know where to source a more appropriate pulley?

Well.....since I was so bullish on you getting the Star, I'm feeling bad its not yet working.....I'll make you a pulley if you like.  One time offer, I am not going into pulley business lol.   You have to supply a good dimensioned drawing of exactly what you want and postage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1