Main spring saga continues with another question

Lc130

I appreciate all the helpful tips I've received from members.  Without them,  I likely would have made little progress in learning repair as a hobby.

Now that I've got the mainspring in the barrel, I'm having trouble getting the arbor into the spring.  I've tried placing it over the inner spring loop, pressing down with tweezers and working a screwdriver around the loop to pry it away from the arbor allowing the arbor to slide in.  Unsuccessful so far.   My question is how much can I pry before I deform the spring?  I've not attempted this before.

Thank you

Charlie

IMG_3491.JPG

The way I would overcome this situation, Try putting the arbor in at a slight angel at he same time press down and turn clockwise, while pushing it should open up to accommodate the spring. If you are going to open it you need to be very careful because the spring might snap, you need a pair of round nosed pliers.   

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

U could use a pin vice to hold the arbor. That would make it easier to turn it. 

I don't have a pin vice but that's been on the list.  Do you recommend a brand and size?  I work on men's wind up and automatics from the 60-70's.

Thank you

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Eclipse pin vise are very good. 

Thank you.  Looks like they're sold outside the US where I am.  I see these available here.  I have no idea what I need??

Horotec 4 vices: "Each vise has two steel chucks. Pin vises open up to: 0-1.8mm, 0-2.8mm, 0-3.5mm and 0-5mm." for $50

Bergeon 4 vices "Each vise has two steel chucks; openings range from 0 to 5mm". for $90

Or, they can be bought individually if I were to know the most common sizes used.

Thank you for any suggestions.

1 hour ago, Lc130 said:

Thank you.  Looks like they're sold outside the US where I am.  I see these available here.  I have no idea what I need??

Horotec 4 vices: "Each vise has two steel chucks. Pin vises open up to: 0-1.8mm, 0-2.8mm, 0-3.5mm and 0-5mm." for $50

Bergeon 4 vices "Each vise has two steel chucks; openings range from 0 to 5mm". for $90

Or, they can be bought individually if I were to know the most common sizes used.

Thank you for any suggestions.

I think you could do with one or two sizes. I have a small one i use for most things. 0-1,8 maybe and maybe a 0-2,8 would be nice to. I think i will get some new ones to as mine is pretty beaten up. 

Not that it will do much good, as they are rather hard to come by, but I use a collet-holding pin-vise that takes 8mm lathe collets. I measure the diameter of what I have to hold on to and choose the collet I need. And as was mentioned, I also start it into the center coil sideways. Once it catches and is in position, I carefully loosen the collet tool and voila.

I have tried other tools, like smooth jawed optician's pliers, but there's not a lot for them to hold on to without risking a worm-hole opening up and swallowing the arbor.

The tool is probably overkill, but it does work well. It's essentially a pin-vise. Good luck.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, rogart63 said:

U could use a pin vice to hold the arbor. That would make it easier to turn it. 

Bergeon pin vices arrived today and worked a treat for the job.  Again,  shows the value of this fine forum.

Thank you

Charlie