Vostok kommandirskie previously owned by he-man

Paumanok

So I enjoy fixing up these Vostoks, simple and durable and fun to look at.

I got one for cheap and I noticed something odd. If you're familiar with the Amphibia and some Kommandirskie versions, you'll know about the screw off crown. This one seemed to pull straight out, weird. Upon further inspection, it seems that it's not the intended design...

I tried lightly holding onto the inner screw part with a pair of pliers and trying to loosen the crown. No luck. I also don't want to damage what looks like a brass insert. Any tips on penetrating oil and how I could get a good grip without distruction?

Also, if I can get them apart, I assume this piece was pressed in and waterproof status is out of the window, but maybe it can still sorta work as intended.IMG_20190213_172126.jpegIMG_20190213_172131.jpeg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hm, heat didn't seem to help much. From some research, some galvanic corrosion can take place on the crown screw. I'm thinking it might be toast and I need to find a new case. At least the movement and dial are in good shape. It also seems to be a tiny bit cross threaded as well. Maybe I can find a decent enough parts case.

Edited by Paumanok
Forgot to mention a detail

Meranom .you can get a brand new stem and threaded collar from them. Provided it is a 24xx movement.
I was checking that out, it seems they only sell the parts under the Amphibia classic. I'm worried about possible fitment variations case to case. It seems to be either a 2414 or a 2434 as it seems to have a counter rotation hacking.

You are right the parts listing is very limited under the komandirskie listings . However if you go back to the amphibia parts listing under crowns you will see two that should work ,one yellow and one silver metal for the komandirskie case The threaded tube is listed under amphibia spare parts.It is listed as being for amphibia cases. I am pretty sure it will work.I cannot say for sure as I have not used one. I can however tell you this,  I have a komandirskie case , and I have an amphibia crown. and the crown screws right into the case The only reason why it does not work is that the stem is too long . a proper length stem and an amphibia tube should work. I cannot guarantee that it WILL work, but given the cost of the parts I would give it a shot.

You are right the parts listing is very limited under the komandirskie listings . However if you go back to the amphibia parts listing under crowns you will see two that should work ,one yellow and one silver metal for the komandirskie case The threaded tube is listed under amphibia spare parts.It is listed as being for amphibia cases. I am pretty sure it will work.I cannot say for sure as I have not used one. I can however tell you this,  I have a komandirskie case , and I have an amphibia crown. and the crown screws right into the case The only reason why it does not work is that the stem is too long . a proper length stem and an amphibia tube should work. I cannot guarantee that it WILL work, but given the cost of the parts I would give it a shot.
That's what I was worried about, slight differences in the two cases. I don't have the tools right now to shorten a stem and refit to the crown, maybe I can get the old stem out of the broken crown.

Is meranom trustworthy with credit cards and the like? It looks pretty legit.

I have purchased from meranom , and I didn't get robbed. As far as shortening vostok stems of this type, It is not practical to do.They have a clutch in them  that allows you to screw the crown down. It's done at the factory ,all pressed together and about impossible to take apart.You really need to buy the correct stem  from the gitgo. while the business end that engages the keyless works on all 24xx vostoks is the same  and the threads on  the case end like wise. the shafts differ in length depending on the case. while there may be some slight differences is case lots , from what I have observed parts interchange on vostoks is very good . they have kept the same dimensions for years.unless your watch has a 22xx movement in it I would think this would just be a matter of assembly.

21 hours ago, Paumanok said:

Hm, heat didn't seem to help much. From some research, some galvanic corrosion can take place on the crown screw. I'm thinking it might be toast and I need to find a new case. At least the movement and dial are in good shape. It also seems to be a tiny bit cross threaded as well. Maybe I can find a decent enough parts case.

Did you tried 3 in 1 oil ?

If you can get the tube from the crown you could try to press it again in the case, put some silver solder paste with a syringue between the tube and case and heat with a gas soldering pen

264480681_3in1.thumb.jpg.9240e0a3fe1118f074db5e4bc46f79be.jpg

Did you tried 3 in 1 oil ?
If you can get the tube from the crown you could try to press it again in the case, put some silver solder paste with a syringue between the tube and case and heat with a gas soldering pen
264480681_3in1.thumb.jpg.9240e0a3fe1118f074db5e4bc46f79be.jpg

I could try the oil. The hardest part will be gripping the tube without damaging it further

I could try the oil. The hardest part will be gripping the tube without damaging it further

Tack some 320 grade inside tweezer's with double-tape and grip the tube with it ...

It could work and risk of damage is really low.

Or use a pin-vice if you have one

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Any type of penetrating oil. I use liquid wrench, not because it is anything super special. They just happen to be located here in my home state of North Carolina.Galvanic corrosion can occur any time two dissimilar metals touch. One becomes the cathode, the other the Anode. A minute electrical electrical current occurs.The previous own Mr Hemanov did the watch no favors !