Wyler Model Numbers & Data

I'll wager someone on the forum has data on Wylers! 

I have an electronic circa 1971 which needs a new crystal.  GS PA listings have some in the size range which are claimed to fit some Wyler models with 4 digit models such as 1176 and 1200.  My watch has 9E100 inside the case and this reference shows up nowhere I can find.

Any ideas on a model number from early 70's with ESA-9150 movement?

I ordered one based solely on inside diameter, but there is clearly more to it.  What I got had an inside mounting area which was too short.

32 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   Is this comparison chart any use to you .    Cheers

1965-Catalog-Crystal-Cross-Reference-Lists.pdf

Thanks!  Neat list and I had not seen one like it.  Kept a copy.

But, that's a little older than this watch which (if memory serves) was purchased about 1971 or 72.  If they made a list such as this from the mid 70's the watch might well be on it - if it were identified as "Electronic" or some such.  The problem I have is that none of the numbers I find correspond to what is marked in this particular case.

This measures 29.9 inside the lip and might very well be a PA-462-5.  I just hate wasting the money to buy another that may or may not work.  Also, it would just be nice to know what Wyler called this model!

18 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   Have a look at bid-fun dr ranfft esa 9150 There is a data sheet on the dynatron this sie also has a load of data on other watches .    google the above or Dr Ranfft esa9150    happy hunting

Thanks also.  I have a tech sheet on the movement and there is an earlier thread here with quite a bit of information.

It's really quite a neat piece - battery set that still has an escapement and all that.  I haven't taken up the movement yet, just lining up the parts to make a start.

I found it.  Thanks to all.  Is a model 1223!

No joy with the crystal.  Not listed in the GS catalog.

I have another Wyler from the same period which is in the catalog.  This one is plainly marked 1162 on the back.  I guess there is some mystery to measuring for those? It says 29.5 and that is an outside measure.  Not what I thought with that type of crystal.

Did I mention I am still learning?

I'm not sure if this is useful or not, but I ran the above PDF through tesseract/OCR so here is a searchable version.

1965-Catalog-Crystal-Cross-Reference-Lists-Searchable.pdf

There are a couple of caveats. First, OCR is never 100% accurate (but this document is pretty clean, so it seems to have processed it quite well). Second, I only tried searching on my Linux laptop, so someone with Window$ will need to check that it works on that platform too. 

To search, press <CTRL+F> and enter what you are looking for, then use the next and previous arrows to skip through each search result. So for example to look for 29.9 crystals, press <CTRL+F> 29.9 -> Next ->Next etc till you find what you are looking for.

If you want to know how the conversion was done, because you have other PDFs you would like to try this with, let me know.

Edited by AndyHull

I use Linux myself.  Yeah, looked closer at the GS web site and they have a link to this catalog plus one from 1972.  Alas, this watch is not listed.  The old crystal has a fracture at 9 O'clock on the edge.   Guess it will just be patina until I get a decent lathe someday.

BTW, I was able to open the catalogs in Firefox and search them just fine.  You must have Flash plugged in...

Is the old crystal present, and in a condition from which to take an outside diameter measurement? I was having one heck of a time finding a crystal for a forties vintage Girard Perregaux watch that had a particular type of waterproof case that made the ID, OD, and crystal thickness important. Finally, after being close to throwing in the towel, I found a PA crystal that was listed for a Wyler model. It had a profile that made me think it might work, and it did!  And, the size was of the outer diameter of the crystal, FWIW.

Do you have a picture of the taken apart case? Maybe I'll be able to help with an image to go by. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel

On 2/13/2019 at 1:50 PM, MrRoundel said:

Is the old crystal present, and in a condition from which to take an outside diameter measurement? I was having one heck of a time finding a crystal for a forties vintage Girard Perregaux watch that had a particular type of waterproof case that made the ID, OD, and crystal thickness important. Finally, after being close to throwing in the towel, I found a PA crystal that was listed for a Wyler model. It had a profile that made me think it might work, and it did!  And, the size was of the outer diameter of the crystal, FWIW.

Do you have a picture of the taken apart case? Maybe I'll be able to help with an image to go by. Good luck.

Sorry it took a bit.  Have had time to go into the movement and break it!  But that's another post.....The top balance pivot spring disintegrated.  Didn't ping.  Flew apart.  I just looked at it, I swear!  Parts ordered on a slow boat.

Here is the original crystal, case and compression rings.  The smaller ring, of course, fits inside and rides on the ridge of the case.  Standard for Wylers of this period I believe.

Diam  31.05 MM

Inner 29.85 MM

Lip thickness .60 MM

Mounting surface 1.5 MM tall

The crystal is approximately 5.0 MM tall.  This is hard to measure as my inexpensive digital caliper does not have long enough arms for the diameter.

I bought a crystal of appropriate diameter, but the inner surface was shorter.  No problem, I thought, as this is a family watch and getting it back together  for show is more important than water resistance.  I'll just leave the tension ring out!  No.  The crystal cracked when pushed onto the case.  Was just too short.

Oh, I can live without the magnifier on the date!

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

DSC_0427_v2.JPG

DSC_0431_v2.JPG

DSC_0432_v2.JPG

DSC_0433_v1.JPG

I still can't help you with that crystal, but I'll make a mental note to keep my eye out for something on that 9E100 model.

As far as the "exploded" hairspring goes, there are parts in those movements that are highly magnetized. One of the first things you see when you take one apart is that the "missing screws" are gathered under the balance. I think I found 3-4 there on the last one I worked on. So maybe that invisible hand of magnetism grabbed the spring or something while you pulled it away? Either that or maybe someone used C-4 to hold in the roller jewel? :lolu:
Good luck!

Thanks anyway.  The old crystal is fractured, but intact.  We'll call it patina and forge ahead!

Not the hairspring broken.  The top Incabloc spring came loose fine and I removed the jewels and holder.  Thought I would push the spring back and go at the balance pivot with some Rodico on a stick and when I pulled back the spring it literally exploded!  Never saw that before.  Worse than having one ping away!  I can't get what is left of the base of it out of the holder.  Found a NOS balance cock on ePay.  That's was all I could figure out as a way to fix that.

My studies are mostly up hill at this point.

Interesting. I have no idea why the spring would go to pieces like that. As you have,  I have had them ping away. So there's no way to get the angle of something thin enough to get that spring remnant out? What about a piece of the thinnest mainspring you have? Take it and run it around the groove. Just a thought. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel