• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• So you only changed the balance and hairspring?   The graphs look very good!   B
    • No no no! Hands are too much delicate to push on the cushion while working on the back, they can change inclination, bend, scratch dial. Use a universal movement holder big enough to embrace dial rim BUT take care to not strong or the dial could deform. Have a nice journey, I know it could be a little bit frustrating but perseverance is the only way to satisfaction! Inviato dal mio VOG-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk
    • So I'm working my casing up a naked movement.  Making TONS of mistakes.  Just ordered my THIRD cheap Chinese 2824 clone movement thanks to screw-ups rendering the first two non-functional. Thank God for cheap Chinese clone movements. Anyway, my question is this: When I have the dial and hands attached, I then wind the movement and let it run overnight so that I can make sure that the hands don't rub on each other, or hit the dial's attached indices.  Then I want to turn the movement over, move the click and release mainspring tension, then remove the stem so that I can put the movement in the case. So I take the movement off of the movement holder (dedicated 11 1/2 linge movement holder, best $15 bucks I ever spent on eBay) and... then what?  Is it safe to put a running movement face down on a case cushion?  If not, then do I just skip releasing he click all together, and let the movement run down for however many hours it takes?  Even with the movement not running, would it THEN be safe to put the movement face down on a cushion with the dial and hands still attached?  Of will I rink damaging the hands/scratching the dial? Some stuff you just can't learn on your own.  Thank God for the internet.
    • I stand corrected on the date, it probably is correct, I have references of a Thomas Speakman, London making clocks from 1685 dying in 1714. If it has been restored why does the movement door look like the hinge on the bottom is damaged?
    • Its a 30 hour English Longcase. I don't think its as old as 1700, but I will leave that to the experts. It won't be a chiming clock, but will be a striking clock, that is it will count out the hour on the hour, most likely by striking a bell. Every day you need to pull the weight back up. I'll look at my books and see if I can get an approximate date based on the hands. If the clock has been professionally serviced and needs no work the starting bid is already at the top end of its value in my opinion, if its not been serviced correctly and needs work its value is much lower. They have not posted any photos of the movement which you really need to see, but the rope and lead donut do look new, so it probably has been recently serviced.