2lostsouls

Timex with 24 watch movement

Question

Good afternoon everyone. I have finally taken apart my wife's grandfathers Timex watch, which has a 24 movement. I have several questions:

1. The stem is really sloppy, what can cause that?

2. What is the best way to clean this movement. I do not have a machine so it will be done manually.

3. Where can I get a crystal? Is there a place to buy them if I measure it? 

Thank you for all of your help. 

4 answers to this question

Look up posts from Jersey Mo.  He's got some good step-by-step posts on servicing Timex.  The crystals for almost all vintage Timex watches are plastic high-dome (PHD).  You can find these many places, Esslinger for example.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, 2lostsouls said:

Good afternoon everyone. I have finally taken apart my wife's grandfathers Timex watch, which has a 24 movement. I have several questions:

1. The stem is really sloppy, what can cause that?

2. What is the best way to clean this movement. I do not have a machine so it will be done manually.

3. Where can I get a crystal? Is there a place to buy them if I measure it? 

Thank you for all of your help. 

1. - sounds like a the o-ring just below the crown is missing.

2. - 3 step dunk and swish -15 minutes in ammonia - water rinse - blow dry - 15 minutes - lighter fluid - air dry -

but before you even go there check for damage such as pulled hairspring, grinding gears, hard to turn setting etc.

3. crystals - find me on ebay -

If I had to guess you are working on a 1966 Mercury with sweep. :)

2 hours ago, AlamedaMike said:

Look up posts from Jersey Mo.  He's got some good step-by-step posts on servicing Timex.  The crystals for almost all vintage Timex watches are plastic high-dome (PHD).  You can find these many places, Esslinger for example.

not all are PHD -  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By abush
      Is there a proper way to remove a stem from a DG3804B so as not to booger the keyless works?.  I have removed movements before, replaced crystals and replaced hands and never had an issue with stems until now.
      I was building my first GMT and was not able to get stem back in!  I had to rebuild the keyless works a real pain. I'm hesitant to try to remove stem again.
      I think it should be in the 'hand setting' position and perhaps ever so gently press on the release until it just lets go. I'm guessing to much pressure allows the winding pinion to slide out of place.
      Any advise perhaps Mark can do a video on this issue?   My current plan to to leave stem in, trim it, then use extended so as not to even remove the stem  (not best solution) just a real pain to fix the keyless works.
      Thanks
      Adam
    • By Giuseppe
      Hello I'm starting to service a vintage zenith with 2572PC movement in it.
      First problem is I can't seem to find a way to release the winder.
      This apperas to be the simplest type of relese system as a push down bolt is easily spotted.
      The point is it just doesn't release and this is where doubts come in...
      Am I missing something?
      In the attached image I'm trying to show what is unexpected to my unexperienced eyes.
      TIA
      Giuseppe

• By wilding
      Hello there watch fix fans. Here's (I hope) an interesting one for you.
      I have this beautiful small ladies 'Fero Feldmann' Swiss-made watch - it came in a bag of "used and to be repaired" watches.
      From what I can see, the mechanism seems in very good working order. Just a slight shake and it goes and goes. There is no strap, but that is not the issue here.
      The problem is the stem and/or crown. As you can see, there is definitely no crown. But I am wondering about the stem.
      The watch does have its case and edoes have, as you can see, a hole where the stem and/or crown will/should fit in.
      There is something which appears to be some kind of part-stem at the 3 o'clock position.
      Using tweezers I can pull it out and push it back in quite freely. A very small screw on top holds this "stem" in place. I think you can see, in ths second photo, how this "stem" attaches to the rest of the movement.
      Clearly I need to attach a crown. BUT what about a stem? A stem extension? Or one of those crowns which has an extended stem-like attachment which should fix onto this current "stem" in this watch?
      Yes, the watch face is somewhat scratched, and the minute hand is a little bent at the top. You may say it is not worth my while trying to get this fixed. But I just SO MUCH like this little watch and would LOVE to give it life again! It clearly IS still "alive" - though I'm not sure if it is a mechanical wind-up or an automatic. The latter of these seems to be the case - as I said earlier, a little shake and the mechanism goes and goes. PErhaps with a little oil (and lots of encouragement) it can be made good.
      So my main question - what kind of stem/crown to attach and how to do it?

• By ali
      hi,
      I am in need of the eb8800 movement in full working condition,
      thanks
    • By AdamC
      Hello,
      I have recently bought and serviced this lovely 100 year old 'Spikins from Dent' pocket watch. The movement seems higher quality than some watches of this era that I've serviced, having 15 jewels, and being warranted English. It is housed in a solid silver Dennison Watch Case Co. case and has a 1918 Birmingham hallmark.
      Given the above info and the attached photos, would anybody be able to identify and tell me whether this is any particular brand of movement? I notice an S in a five-pointed star on the train bridge - is this a trade mark on a movement?