Lc130

Advice on winders please

Hi All

I've made reasonably good progress at learning this as a hobby thanks to lots of help from forum members.  I'm outright failing on mainsprings though.  My $28 Seiko 6119A MS replacement went airborne when I didn't push it into the barrel correctly.  I bought a new one for the seiko and others because I don't have a winder.  I've long given up trying to hand winding automatics.

I picked up an old winder set on ebay.  But, most of the hooks are broken off making it useless.  The Bergeon winders are priced for professionals.  What do most hobbyist use?  

Any advice is welcome!

Charlie

Edited by Lc130

Hi Charlie   What I use are my hands and plenty of patience The latter being the watch word excuse pun. usually when new springs arrive they are held in a former and once the orientation is sorted out place the former over the barrel making sure the spring fits in the rim then work the spring into the barrel. To make it easier what i try to do is, on a flat surface press the former down a bit on the spring so you have an edge this edge is the bit you fit into the barrel prior to fitting and pressing it into place. If you remove springs by hand and intentd to re fit clean the spring in alchohol and relube. Best to use rubber or latex gloves to avoid sweaty fingers marking the spring. Probably not the correct way but it works. otherwise use a winder. there are several types as you have [probably found out. 

59 minutes ago, Lc130 said:

How do you keep from permanently bending the bridle on an automatic??

You aren't the only one to ponder this.I recently destroyed a Seiko mainspring trying to get it back into the barrel.The bridle just did not want to go back.I would have had better luck trying to drag a dog into a haunted house.The advised hand wind method works great on unbridled mainsprings.But for a Seiko automatic you need a witch doctor.

You bring up a good point on buying used mainspring winders. I have a few different types that I use, but mostly I use my old K&F Robbin's Patent #125a winder. The big reason is that the three winding handles still have their hooks intact. Another, Watchcraft, I bought at an NAWCC Mart is missing the hook on the smaller handle/arbor. I, like you, didn't think to check it when I bought it. Consequently I've only used it once or twice, as invariably I need the smaller size.

Recently, my Robbin's style didn't have the right sized barrel for the V&C I'm working on, so I checked my other winders. Fortunately, was able to use the largest size of the Watchcraft Bracelet winders I have. Otherwise I may have been winding it in by hand as well.

Moral: When buying a used mainspring winder, closely inspect those hooks. Of course, an honest seller should let you know (if they know) of such material issues before you buy. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel

I feel all your pain, I've had trouble with these and I found out the hard way about checking for the hook on second hand winders. I'm expecting to see a tutorial pop up from  @jdrichard on how to knock one together soon :D (and although I'm joking I wouldn't be too surprised, there doesn't seem to be a lot that man can't manufacture!) 

I feel all your pain, I've had trouble with these and I found out the hard way about checking for the hook on second hand winders. I'm expecting to see a tutorial pop up from  [mention=1704]jdrichard[/mention] on how to knock one together soon  (and although I'm joking I wouldn't be too surprised, there doesn't seem to be a lot that man can't manufacture!) 

Very funny. I’ll prepare a video on how to replace the hooks on mainspring winders....if enough people want this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very funny. I’ll prepare a video on how to replace the hooks on mainspring winders....if enough people want this.

I knew you wouldn’t let me down, haha! And although I *was* joking, yes please to the video. Didn’t know they could be replaced so will be interesting to me at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I knew you wouldn’t let me down, haha! And although I *was* joking, yes please to the video. Didn’t know they could be replaced so will be interesting to me at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I had a quick look and with a lathe and some blue steel rods at about 1mm, it is possible to replace the stud on a spring winder.85e5142ae382b642ed0b47e5bb852521.jpg79158d29bdf593ff20afa9fcaffb0ede.jpgeb8bfaf302ebf1fff91c543f9b89464f.jpg9915594c31365a8710e79e3ca1132aa0.jpg538f4a415f430edfad9d0492d598618a.jpg8fba0b906f6c6bbe8e8a3969d709178d.jpgbbb50afcd0564c7d2fee78a05f642890.jpgI think you just punch out the old one and then grave the small piece of 1mm blues steel down to size with i minor 3 deg taper, then tap it into the opening. Easy Peasy