Not new, but remiss in introduction.

MrRoundel

Greetings. I've been a participant here for a couple of years now, but I don't think I ever introduced myself. I was thinking about it, and it's probably handy for folks to reference these intro's to get an idea as to how much experience a participant has. Since I don't want people being in the dark about such things, I'll go about introducing myself.

I started working on American pocket watches back in the late nineteen nineties. I bought a set of VHS tapes put together by Bob Tascione. At around the same time I joined the NAWCC and assembled a nice little collection of American pocket watches. Between then and now, life took all sorts of twists and turns, having me only working on watches sporadically. Eventually I started working on wrist-watches, as I found them more practical as a wearing possibility. That's when I found the WRT forum, and its many friendly, knowledgeable members.

My tool collection is decent for a hobbyist's, having a lathe, bench, good screwdrivers, Dumont 3C's, and good supply of parts books, etc. I have probably restaffed a dozen or so watches, all with varying degrees of success. I am embarrassed to say that I've never poised a balance or replaced a roller jewel. I know, crazy, right? I do have a poising tool and others for dealing with roller jewels. I've just been avoiding it. Perhaps that's after I sent a few tiny shock-device jewels into oblivion, despite using what I thought was a soft touch. My skills have improved a bit with experience, but I'm decades of experience from watchmaker status. 

For years I have enjoyed other hobbies, mostly windsurfing in SoCal, Baja, and Hawaii. This has now taken its toll on my body, shoulders in particular. Carumba. Ah, it was worth it. Anyway, I think I'm now being forced to spend more time doing things that aren't as hard on my old joints as windsurfing. And I have always enjoyed getting old watches up and running after their hiatuses.

Anyway, that's me and watches in a nutshell, cracked as it might be. Cheers all.

Edited by MrRoundel
Ad possessive to hobbyist's