26 minutes ago, transporter said:

Fingers crossed mate, something else learnt today, everyday is a school day you know, if it plays up some more I now know where to look, at least I’ll go for a deep clean/ polish of the escape wheel teeth and try to polish up the pins as best I can. I take it I can do this with a burnishing tool from my lathe kit but done by hand?

If they are really rusty it's probably best to put new ones in, but you can refinish them. A burnisher would be a pretty good tool to use. You can try a simple glass brush on the escape teeth, if the pins are polished it should work ok even if the teeth are a little rough, and they will have a burnishing effect on them over time. Watch that the pins aren't grooved, which happens often. In that case you can usually turn them 180 degrees and get a fresh acting surface.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:53 PM, JBerry said:

From what I've read, the overbanking may be resultant from either the mainspring being of an excessive strength, or the modern oils you have used resulting in less resistance/more power being delivered to the escapement than what was originally intended. I have read of some people solving this problem by oiling the pallet pivots... but it's not really best practice and may cause issues down the line...

Overbanking and excess amplitude can both be due to strong MS. Overbanking in pendent position only, evidnces a second issue. I bet on multiple problem. Will follow with interest and learn.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:53 PM, JBerry said:

From what I've read, the overbanking may be resultant from either the mainspring being of an excessive strength, or the modern oils you have used resulting in less resistance/more power being delivered to the escapement than what was originally intended. I have read of some people solving this problem by oiling the pallet pivots... but it's not really best practice and may cause issues down the line...

Overbanking and excess amplitude can both be due to strong MS. Overbanking in pendent position only, evidnces a second issue. Obviously multiple problem. Will follow with interest, a chance to learn.

Well it ran all night pendant up, I did put it in my pocket yesterday and popped out for an hour, went in pendant up, but on return it had stopped at the 40min mark. 

Still runs great pendant up but goes back to how it was behaving before.

Had a look through my spares and I have a very similar movement, the same except for the exposed balance, so I will swap out escape wheel, pallet and maybe even the balance wheel itself within the next couple of days and see what happens. Will keep all informed.

I will also go through the polishing etc of the pins and escape wheel teeth on this movement to see if that improves things first.

Update for you, I’m going to have a thorough look again at this, now only really runs dial down for any length of time ( 2 days with only a loss of about 5 minutes ) any other positions and it goes for a while then stops. I shall go to town on the escape wheel, pallet forks and balance as the fault I think clearly lies in this department. I have got a spare balance less cock, escape wheel and pallet fork so if all else fails I can swap out these bits. 

• 1 month later...

Right then, I put This  one back on bench yesterday as I had put it to one side after the problems it was giving me so I could come back to it with a clear head. ( and a new fresh set of eyes )

As we could see from the videos of the balance speeding up and stopping and all the other things we thought it might of been ( someone did mention it ).

Well a fresh set of eyes and an afternoon of no interruptions I found the source to the problem, fingers crossed this is the solution. The hairspring was rubbing on the balance cock, have no idea why I didn’t spot  this earlier as like I said it was mentioned by someone in an earlier post and it’s a check that I do. Granted the hairspring wasn’t Exactly flat but dare I say it, it was acceptable for the time, ahem.

what i observed yesterday was when the balance was off the movement the hairspring was only just off the flat but when pinned the outer coil was lifted slightly, this hid a couple of other inner coils from view, and it was these inner coils that were rubbing and causing the problems.

Although having gone through everything that people suggested this thing should be cosc standards now haha. It ran all night dial up losing 6 mins in 12 hours, I shall continue to let it run in all positions and see how it goes and will keep all informed.

thanks for all the pointers folks much appreciated.

Edited by transporter
Spelling