Strange hand issue

Stevelp

Hello again everyone!  So I’ve just completed repairing a Hamilton 36000 Chronospeed (many broken screws, missing parts) that I found in a parts box.  The watch now runs wonderfully but has developed a strange habit with the hands.  The watch did not run when I found it so I’m unsure if it had this issue previously.  When the watch gets to 10:19 AM and PM the hour and minute hand stop there but the second hand continues on.  If I advance the hands a few minutes things resume and are good until 12 hours later.  To eliminate the possibility of the hands touching I installed the hour and minute hands each by themselves but they each stop at their respective places.  When setting the time, it almost feels a little to effortless to move the hands with the crown, could this at all be related?  I can figure out the basics when it comes to wristwatches but this is a little beyond my knowledge at this point.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  The photo below is of the finished product.

C65DAB2A-F4C8-472B-9594-2556C1C088D7.jpeg

I would guess that there is a flaw in one of the gear train gears that correlates to that time that is causing it to get hung up. but that's just a guess, and I'm still a noob around this stuff. I'm imagining a slightly bent tooth that grabs on a plate or something.

As an aside, that is a super cool watch, I hope you get it going 100%. Any interest in selling it if you do? I love old Hammies. :D

Hi Steve  Nice watch.  Must have a bind some where, take off the dial , date and day wheels refit the hands and re test to eliminate and issue with the calendar parts. If the motion work turns the hands cleanly with no bind doe's not seem likely to be the cannon pinion ,hour or min wheels but it still may be an eccentric gear or a damaged tooth that is unable to run through under normal power and binds at a particular spot, happy hunting

Thanks qhartman, I agree it’s an awesome watch but this one’s going to stay with me.  I have been leaning towards a gear train issue as well I just haven’t got as far as tearing it down again.  Watchweasol thanks for the suggestion, I actually have removed the dial and the day and date wheels to see if there’s any link but it continues to do the same thing.

On 2/5/2019 at 6:48 PM, Nucejoe said:

Check if canon pinion slips, may need tightening.

Will you post a close up pic of the trains under the dial.

Disclose the caliber of movement. Eternaltools,com displays eta parts and thier names.

Joe

I think the caliber is an AS 1920 which i believe has an offset cannon pinion. i had a similar issue with an AS 1916 which is from the same family of movements. I basically followed the steps on this thread https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/4375-movement-id-and-cannon-pinion-problems/ and it solved the problem.

good luck

Edited by Fred

Loose canon pinion on those is a culprit. 

Dose it stop every round it gets to 10hr, or only at 22hr when day/ date is to jumped.

Presumably the extra load to jump date/day causes this. Excessive friction or a fault in date jump train like Nickelsilver said.

If you are not equipped to tighten the pinion, you should see the contraption I made out of a nail clipper, looks funny but works. 

Joe

14 hours ago, Fred said:

I think the caliber is an AS 1920 which i believe has an offset cannon pinion. i had a similar issue with an AS 1916 which is from the same family of movements. I basically followed the steps on this thread https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/4375-movement-id-and-cannon-pinion-problems/ and it solved the problem.

good luck

Right, the canon pinion is friction fit and  you need to tighten this one, Just to clarify, it stops everytime, at 10hr then a pic may help reveal the faulty part. You would need to strip back to day/day train.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.  So I had some time to tear down the movement again and I found my main issue.  From now on I will use my strongest loupe to check wheels after going through the cleaning machine.  I found the smallest buildup of dry oil between 2 teeth, so I cleaned it up and it took off, no more stopping.