??? Question about mainspring

OK i have encountered this problem a lot esp in older movements. Sometime it seems like the mainspring is wound tight and/or the mainspring wont turn anymore and the watch does not run. but when i turn the the crown and hold pressure so the ratchet wheel doesnt rest back into the click the watch runs, but when i let go and the click seats back into ratchet wheel the watch stops. its almost as if there is reverse pressure on the train making it stop when the ratchet is rested and by turning it it releases the pressure and allows the train to run. normally i just unwind the spring and then rewind it and watch starts to tick and from there i will just disassemble the movement service the mainspring and barrel, but i would like to know why this happens it is my understanding that mainsprings are designed to slip.

What you are doing is forcing the watch to work, by using extreme force on the winding. It normally means the movement needs cleaning and inspect it for wear. You can only wind the spring up until it is fully wound, if it stopes something is wrong. Only automatic watches have a slip spring attached to the mainspring. Therefore, in theory, you cannot fully wind the mainspring because it will slip inside the barrel, you are not meant to keep winding an automatic watch, on many models just a few turns on the button to start it off and wearing on your wrist and your movement of your wrist is enough to keep the watch going. On the old Seiko watches, a few shakes would be enough.      

Hi As OH says you are forcing the watch to work, In doing this the excess pressure applied can inadvertantly damage the spring ends not to mention the motion work.  The barrel is probably dry and the spring dirty and dry causing friction stopping the spring from working normally, If that is the case it is a safe bet the movement is also the same so the dismantle clean and oil is the answer also remove the spring clean the barrel and spring  and reassemble the watch