Open ended watch strap

Davey57

Hi

I haven’t been around much lately, but still trying to fit in a bit of meddling when I can. I have just resurrected my grandfathers old watch, it had a broken balance which I replaced with a secondhand one. At some point in time it had also had a new stem fitted, not very welll if I may say so. It was too long and the crown was too thick, it looked awful. So after a stripdown and clean it is running nicely, I have found a nicer crown and trimmed the stem. It is a lovely old watch. My grandfather died about 40 years ago and it has not run in all that time, I’m not sure when the balance was broken. All I need now to finish it off is a new strap. The case has fixed pins so I need an open ended strap. I have searched for 17mm open ended straps but can’t find much. The only likely contender was a Hirsch, nice straps but quite expensive. Does anyone know where I might find something? Maybe it does deserve a nice Hirsch strap to finish it off. I need a shortish strap as I have slim wrists, the one fitted is ideal length at around 75/110. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.5884A28E-E8BE-4F9C-8A87-1A3F47F25E52.thumb.jpeg.65b0adf4b7e7d28eb9839a4f97fc330e.jpeg

Have you considered simply re-stitching the existing one. It has a certain veteran charm of its own.

Its not a particularly difficult job. You just need a couple of needles, some suitable waxed thread, and a little patience.

Start by removing the existing thread, then remove the fold over metal tabs, clean those and check for damage, if necessary cut replacements from thin brass sheet.

Clean the leather, use ordinary soap and water for this, then nourish it with the leather treatment of your choice (beeswax based, rather than silicone, I would say, just to keep with the vintage spirit).

Replace any internal cotton or other damaged or worn out spacer material, sew it back to together neatly.

More about the technique can be found in a number of videos on youtube.

Here for example.

Those Hirsch ones do look good though. Maybe get one for "Sunday best" for it too.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

There are some less expensive options on the bay of course. For example -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Genuine-Leather-Black-Open-Ended-Watch-Strap-NOS-Fixed-Lugs-16mm-17mm/222901723491?hash=item33e5fa6163:m:mWmXuxs5-03_WbpfqOhyfJA
(That ones looks like it genuinely is  new old stock.)

Try searching for some variations of "Genuine Leather  Open Ended Watch Strap Fixed Lugs 17mm"

Edited by AndyHull