Tissot PRS516 Quartz - not running

Hi All,

I recently purchased a lovely Tissot PRS516 diver. The watch was purchased as requiring a battery, I duly replaced it but the watch won't run. I've ordered a new battery in case the one I fitted was a dud, but is there anything else I'm missing? There isn't a re start procedure on these or anything?

Cheers!

Screenshot_20190203-195845.jpg

Dose it tend to move at all?  If not, listen close for the tic sound, you can put the watch on a strong microphone or at least your handsets mic to listen for the tic sound. 

To free a gear stuck due to dried oil, drop a pallat of lighter fluid on arbors, pivots of power train, try to nudge a gear like rodabod said, repeat with oil. Slight back and forth nudge of gears wont damage them.

There is a golden rule of electronic fault finding. "Thou shalt always check test thy voltages".

Check that the new battery works with a multimeter, then check the battery contacts to see if they are clean and corrosion free, then check the movement to see where the battery contacts route to on the circuit board, and using the multimeter again, check to see if the voltage actually appears on the circuit board.

Often movements will have test pads (little exposed, often round pads) specifically for checking the voltage, (and sometimes other things, like the oscillator).

Start with this, since if you have no power, then no amount of "fiddling with the gearbox" is going to get things moving.

If the battery is good, and the oscillator "oscills" then move on to the mechanical side.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all, extremely useful.

The movement looks really clean, i removed the previous dead battery and in doing so checked the condition of the terminals, again they look fine to my eye.

I think, as alluded to above, my best step is to try with another battery (which re-check the termninals when fitting) and if still no good then i will have a mate check the voltage etc (I don't have multimeter unfortunately).  I do spy a couple of small round pads as described so that looks like where I shoudl be heading to test this.

Now i think about it and reading the above, i did actually manage to get the seonnd hand moving by gently encouraging the gear train, so I'm thinking electrical.

Anyway, thanks agian and i will report back :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 11:55 AM, MattWatch said:

The watch was purchased as requiring a battery

Normally changing a battery is really simple so if somebody sells you A watch just needing A new battery because they were too lazy to do it, that is strange? Just think you put the battery in the watch is running it increases in value dramatically so maybe they weren't telling the truth?

Then we need the model number of the movement telling us that it is a Tissot PRS516 Isn't super helpful because according to link below and it's more like a series of watches. So there should be a model number on the back side of the movement itself.

AndyHull Gave you some good starting answers. 101 make sure you have power to the watch. But there are some additional electrical checks once you verify that Then there is the mechanical aspects. Just because the watch looks clean doesn't mean by quartz watch standards that it's going to function. Mechanical watches have lots of power things aren't quite right they might not run right but they will usually run through all this things that aren't right. The quartz watches are really critical on how clean things are lubrication one speck of dust in the wrong place depending upon the watches enough to stop it almost. So their way less tolerance for mechanical Issues which you can't worry about it until you verify the electronics is working.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/shop/all-our-watches/t-sport/tissot-prs-516.html