ETA Calendar alignment issue

Hello 1st time posting here.

I am working my way through level 3 and learning a lot.  Great stuff Mark.

I have 2 ETA 2830 movements with the same issue. You can change the day and date with the crown in position 2 but in position 3 time setting when rotating the hands the date clicks around perfectly at the 12 but the day wheel rotates the right amount but the day alignment is off. I have taken the day disc off and re seated it many times but it still rotates into the wrong position.

Any help appreciated!

disc.jpg

disc2.jpg

Hi   If it works ok with the dial off one would suspect abinding issue with the dial. Some watches had a dial ring spacer that fits under the dial rim located by the dail feet, The idea being that as the dial feet locate the holes, there is space between the dial back and the calender/day,date wheels. worth a look.

I'm not super familiar with the ETA 2830 but have worked a lot with ETA 2836-2.
The same phenomena you describe happens with the other movement too when one forgets to attache the day indicator spring clip.
If it is not in place the day disc is pushed upwards and becoming miss aligned. 
On a 2836-2 the part number is 48, worth take a look.

• Like 1

I had problems placing the dial rim so I left it off and that created problems with the date wheel. (There is no wavy washer on the 2836-2.)

It isn't all that easy to place the dial rim; it has to be pushed on with a bit of oomph. Perhaps you should see whether your movement needs a dial rim. It may be that someone simply left it off because it was too difficult to replace. Frankly, I once put in a wavy washer in a 2836 instead of the dial rim; that caused things to get bent when the watch is cased.

My teacher wasn't very happy with me...

• Like 1

Just to clarify about the 2836-2 movement and the day disk.

The outer rim is the spacer so the day and date goes free from the dial when you put it on it has number 49 in the schematics. 
It might sometimes be difficult to get in place but then one know you warped it slightly.

The day indicator clip is what is holding the day disk in place it is number 48 in the schematics.

If you forget it in a 2836-2 movement the disk is not locked in place and will get misaligned when engaged.

I guess it might work in the same way on a 2830, I have a hard time seeing how the outer rim will hold the day disk in place.

Clip.jpg

Edited by HSL
swinglish
  • Like 1